Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dipole antenna with no ground plane

Default Re: Dipole antenna with no ground plane

I mounted an ACS di-pole in the VS yesterday and hooked up a handheld to make sure it had a chance of working. (Although others have said the surrounding metal framework won't bother it . . . . . well, you might say seeing is believing.) It picked up Dulles/Potomac approach control!! The airport is 34 miles away and approach is located about 15 miles away. I'm in the hills and there are lots of them between me and approach - not to mention the aluminum garage door. Bottom line - I'm pleased and impressed. The only downside with putting it in the VS - the bottom end will have to be moved (i.e., bent a bit) to get the HS in. I moved it thru what I think will be the required range and it was no big deal - no permanent deformation at all.

Hi Darrel
    Don't want you to get into a corner, I put my ELT in a very similar location but slightly further toward the rear. I have room to get the connectors in and out but Im still a bit cramped. Your ELT is closer to the header tank. Are you going to be able to make your connections?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Opps - you might be right and before I forget, thanks for speaking up. I forgot that I had removed the header tank and was looking at clearance to seat only. I'll bet that target fixation got to me - - - - again. Guess what I'll be checking on first thing tomorrow?

Eddie - morning UPDATE: good catch!! Hopefully we'll meet up in person someday and the first and second beers are on me. It looks like it should fit fine on the pilots side - unless there is something that I haven't seen that goes there as well. Cheers, Darrel

Eh, that's how the forum works. Glad to be able to help.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

A dipole is one of the best omnidirectional antennas available. Mounting it as close to vertical as possible is best, but even at an angle, the toroidal radiation pattern should work well for airplane use. Radiation is weakest off the ends of the antenna so you might have trouble receiving a station directly below you or an airplane directly above, but this likely will not be an issue as those transmitters are also closest to you so that mitigates the relative weakness of the pattern in those directions.

Definitely will outperform almost any monopole unless you have a fantastic ground plane.

Delta Whiskey, Great pictures on your builders log. Thanks for posting the link to your log - pictures are usually worth a thousand words. When you cover the HS will you leave a hole through it for the bottom of the dipole to go through? Or are you planning to not cover the middle section of the HS, which I assume will be completely hidden by the side covers? Or are you planning to bend it forward or aft over the top of the covered HS?
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Larry - it is too early for the really final decision. As of now I'm planning on re-mounting the HT and setting the control limits very soon - before covering in any event - and will make an interim decision at that time. (Note, I've learned to use program manager terms like interim decision(s) as that gives me a chance to label my mistakes in assembly or decision making as "interim steps".) At this time, the very rough measurements I've taken lead me to believe I'll put a reinforced hole between the two center ribs in the HS for the antenna. The antenna is a flat ribbon that bends easily left and right and I think I'll be able to bend it to right as the HS is inserted from the left side and then pull it into position. We'll see and I'll try to get some pictures.

Delta Whiskey, I'll be very interested in your findings as you progress since I have recently purchased the same dipole and I'm also planning to mount it somewhere in the VS. Your tentative plan seems sound so far as long as you don't over bend the dipole during the install of the HS. The flexibility of the dipole is a big plus in allowing various install options but it does have bending limitations. I think the only potential issue that I see may stem from the dipole manufacturer's statement that they recommend a minimum bend radius so as not to over stress the fiberglass matrix of the antenna. As along as we don't violate that recommendation it should be a very good install. It may turn out to be a non-issue or there may be some tricks you come up with to help reduce the bending radius during the assembly. I'll follow your progress with great interest. Good luck.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Smile Re: Dipole antenna with no ground plane

Just purchased the Uavionix EchoUAT ADS-B and have decided to place the antenna in wingtip. The antenna included is the stick and ball type like the typical transponder antenna. I need to know if there is a dipole type antenna that doesn't require a ground plane. Or, if staying with the provided antenna how do I install a ground plane? North Idaho