Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stall Warning System Advice Request

Default Stall Warning System Advice Request

I'm currently building a IV Classic, all steam gauges. What stall warning system would you recommend?
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

Default Re: Stall Warning System Advice Request

If you google "Lift Reserve" you will see many different ways of making or purchasing an angle of attack gauge.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Kahle76 View Post
    I'm currently building a IV Classic, all steam gauges. What stall warning system would you recommend?
    She’ll tell you all you need to know. Nice, honest plane. She won’t bite even when all crossed up. I’m not gonna bother.
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    If you google "Lift Reserve" you will see many different ways of making or purchasing an angle of attack gauge.
    Thanks Larry. I'll check it out.
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I ordered one today, unfortunately my wings are covered and painted. Could I mount this on my lift strut or just inboard of my wingtip that is removable?
    Mike Kahle
    Jackson, MO
    IV Classic 582
    RV-12is building

I don't know why that wouldn't work. It's outside the prop thrust, so why not?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Just my opinion on AOA instrumentation. First, I have one (Dynon) and really like it. Second, it uses an audible beeping sound that gets progressively more intense until it becomes a solid tone at incipient stall. Without the audible tone it would be useless to me. The Dynon also has the multi-colored visual indicator on the panel, but when I am on very short final I have no time to take my eyes from outside and look down at the panel. I guess some folks with visual indicator only are satisfied with it, but I believe most of them have it mounted up on top of the glare shield or in some type of HUD.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have mine just under the glare shield Jim with no audio, although that option was available. I agree that you don't want to be looking down on short final but in the position just under the glare shield, I have it in my vision when looking at the touch down point. It is very clear to see it going from green to orange and then red. My personal preference is visual over auditory - I don't like audio when flying (don't play music or have phone hooked in when flying) - I think it is a case of what is effective and then training yourself to use the information it provides - same as referencing airspeed indicators f you don't have AOA.

cheers
    r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Just my opinion on AOA instrumentation. First, I have one (Dynon) and really like it. Second, it uses an audible beeping sound that gets progressively more intense until it becomes a solid tone at incipient stall. Without the audible tone it would be useless to me. The Dynon also has the multi-colored visual indicator on the panel, but when I am on very short final I have no time to take my eyes from outside and look down at the panel. I guess some folks with visual indicator only are satisfied with it, but I believe most of them have it mounted up on top of the glare shield or in some type of HUD.
    Jim, can you please provide some installation details for your Dynon AOA? Where did you mount it? Can it be installed on a plane that is fully covered? Many thanks.

Ajai Sehgal
    KF 7SS
    912ULS w/Big Bore Kit

The Dynon system integrates with their EFIS, electronic display (glass panel).

I used their double pitot tube that does AOA and airspeed connected to a D180 FlightDEK.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos