Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying Apps For Android

Default Re: Flying Apps For Android

I use Garmin with an Android because I have a Garmin GDL-39 for ADS-B in and the two use blue tooth to communicate.

BTW...Avare has an ADS-B plug-in that works very well with ADS-B in receivers, providing both traffic and weather info. I’ve been using the app for about two years and love it. Granted, it’s flight planning functions aren’t as good as say ForeFlight and others, but it’s okay after the learning curve. Also, you don’t have to buy an expensive IPAD....just a simple android phablet or phone, (like Samsung..$59) and you’re good to go.

The next time the bill comes for ForeFlight, ask yourself, “do I really need this?” Avare may help you answer that question.........oh, did I mention it’s free?
    Last edited by Russell320; 11-07-2018 at 09:17 AM.
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

ForeFlight for five or so years now. Love it. I like my Garmin Aera 500 also with a GDL-39. Between the two everything is covered nicely.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I have only used Avare, but that is because I am the typical airplane owner...a cheap skape!! Works for me since I can afford it. LOL

On another topic....has anyone used the Stratux ADS-B 'in" unit? Its fairly reasonable and for under $250 seems like a decent deal. I thought of building one and saving some money but a few guys here did it and they had a few issues. I will add that I am NOT a computer guru so the idea of getting one already built and working definitely appeals to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Stratux-Receiv.../dp/B071HMQY19

Avare is free and worth every penny.

It's okay, but it definitely does not have the features and polish of Foreflight. I use Avare on my android phone to backup foreflight on my iPad.

I built a Stratux. It was okay, but buggy. Just enough of a hassle to be irritating. It would drop out randomly, and it was difficult to troubleshoot. I have a Stratus now, and it work flawlessly.

If you don't need ADAHRS, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07348TPJT
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I just installed the GTX335 Garmin for ADS-B out and bought the Stratux ADS-B receiver off Amazon for $249 after reading numerous good reviews. I have been playing with Avare and using it as a backup to my Garmin 396 GPS. It has been rock solid on my Moto Z2 Play, and since the Stratux communicates via Wifi I figured I would give it a try on my cell phone first using Avare. I got it yesterday and it was giving me traffic on the sectionals within minutes. Setup was easy and there are forums and YouTube tutorials on using the Avare/Stratux combo. I had considered Foreflight but for my kind of flying I just can't justify the cost. I am going to try out the Avare/Stratux combo on my phone for a few weeks in flight, and if the results are good I will buy a tablet. Unfortunately, I have been grounded due to the fires in California so I wont be able to fly for another week.
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

I haven't seen any mention of the Fltplan Go app yet. I've played with all the other apps mentioned, and have an issued iPad with Foreflight for work. It's been sometime since I've used it, but I think the best app for Android was Garmin Pilot. With that said:

Fltplan Go is completely free and includes all the maps, airport diagrams and approach plates you want, all geo-referenced. Fltplan.com / Fltplan Go have the best flight planning and filing functionality ive ever used, integrates with your duats account seemlessly and the enroute mapping and course information is adequate. That's it's weak area actually, although it displays maps beautifully and smoothly the interface is not as intuitive as some of the others. Highly recommend, you can read some more the link below.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tplan.go&hl=en

p.s. Garmin recently bought fltplan.com, I don't know how that's going to impact the site and the app.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougj View Post
    p.s. Garmin recently bought fltplan.com, I don't know how that's going to impact the site and the app.

Probably means it will no longer be free

Be advised there is no DUATS to interface with anything anymore - that got the last rites within the past year.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

FltPlan Go is ok, if you survive the learn to use it process. Also it is a Data pig,
    and downloads way bigger chunks of geography in the way of maps than you
    really need. I've actually tried really hard to like FltPlan Go but the interface is
    horrible to me.

For free Avare is much simpler, and user friendly. I think Bruce had mentioned
    that Metars had been a problem with ADS-B. Last time I tried it, these were
    working fine

Personally I prefer Naviator, which does require a subscription, but the price is
    reasonable, and it works very well.

I have used all three of the above quite extensively, and I keep coming back
    to Naviator despite that it does cost money. I do keep Avare installed, but
    that is because I like to have the free Geo-Referenced approach plates

Jeff

Avare, works perfect used it to fly X country 2 times...flawless and used the ADSB input as well,and its free...its never failed me.