Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Cutting model 4 wings down, how far to go?

Default Cutting model 4 wings down, how far to go?

I am getting ready to fit the model-4 1200 wings on my fuse, and noticed I can fit my plane and one wing mounted in my garage for assembly, if my wing was shorter, like the speed wing plane option. Why do I make the cut, at the next inboard rib? How far back have folks gone? Please advise
    Roger

Default Re: Cutting model 4 wings down, how far to go?

Personally, and this is just my opinion, I wouldn't touch it. I have a friend with a model 4/1200/912ul short wing speedster. I have exactly the same airplane except with the long wing. Both planes have all the speedster options, the only difference being wingspan and prop type. His has the Warp Drive and mine has the Kiev. At 5000 rpm our speeds are perfectly matched. My stall speed should be a little lower which for me is a plus. I've flown his just once out of a very wet, I mean water standing, muddy grass strip and it did just fine. Both planes are good performers. I just don't think you'll gain enough speed to be worth the effort and I feel sure your stall will go up if you clip your wings. The long wing should make a better stol airplane.

i have a model IV -1050 that i removed the droop tips and installed the rounded short tips. a friend has a speedster and with his horner tips there is only about 10 inches difference between his and my wings. the speedster wing is one bay shorter than the 1050 but the horner tip is almost a bay wide.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I did just that with my model4 1050. Took off one rib bay and used the speedster tips. Configured the cut off so I could reattach it if I deemed necessary but never even covered them. Been flying my plane for 25 years ( yes, even a bit over gross a time or 2:eek. Haven't ever wished I had the extra wingspan. Climb, cruise, landing distance all equal to my flying buddies with long wing kitfox 4 and long wing Avids. I was really looking for a bit better ride in turbulence, but flying in my friends planes i couldn't really say mine rides better. These are just really light aircraft. I trailered my plane to the airport for the first 8 years and the shorter wings did allow a shorter overall plane/trailer length which fit my garage better.
    JimS

I agree with loving the shorter wing. I cut mine down one bay like the others and have loved the performance and it really fits in the hanger easily with the shorter wing.