Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recessed fuel drain install

Default Recessed fuel drain install

Changing to recessed fuel drains. Manual says loctite type thread sealant. Anyone use thread tape as well or just the thread sealant?

Default Re: Recessed fuel drain install

I never use tape on fuel or hydraulic systems.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

No, no tape!
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Not to pile on, but, , , , , , NPT fittings and tape are not a marriage made in heaven - by the very nature of the thread design. Thread sealant is the way to go.

Never use anything to seal fuel system components that can plug your fuel system.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Years ago, I had a wizzened old A&P tell me to get some stuff called Fuel Lube.I bought a small can of the stuff that will last a lifetime and use it for thread sealant and such. Has out performed anything else I tried and i am sold on it. Its the consistency of peanut butter and never gets hard and is fuel resistant. I checked aircraft spruce by searching for fuel lube but all that came up is a product called "EZ Turn lubricant " which it says is the functional equivalent of Fuel Lube. Bruce N199CL

Sorry to post non aviation related but never use white Teflon "tape" on natural gas or propane fittings either.

I just bought Fuel Lube. Thought I got it here at the local AS&S. Anyhow, I stated previously on my thread that after my brake line fittings were found to be leaking 5606 hydraulic fluid I got this stuff and it seemed to be working. Not any longer. My brake fittings at all four points on the grove gear leak. The permatex product that was recommended has sealed the fittings where they enter the brake cylinders but neither products has stopped leaking at the aluminum gear. I called Grove. They use Permatex and had no recommendation. My only thought is that I will have to use brand new fittings and try again. I have these tight enough to make me nervous to tighten further. Im hoping that new ones will be a better fit. Any other ideas would be appreciated.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Not to hijack the thread. But what I have used to seal leaky brake fittings on my gear legs was this product.

80017.jpg

I also used it to seal the access to the fuel tank on my RV9 project. Follow directions, install and leave for a few days for it to set before you add any fluids.

Ralph

Thanks all. Loctite 565 is the plan but I saw a mention on the super cub forum of adding thread tape. Wanted to see what you thought.