Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF3 Fiberglass seat

Default KF3 Fiberglass seat

Anybody have other ideas on the fiberglass seat installation on a KF3. I had an Avidflyer that used a lace canvas seat so no holes were drilled through the frame. It looks like there may be an issue with the control tubes rubbing on the seat bottom.

Default Re: KF3 Fiberglass seat

Are you asking for an option other than attaching the seat pan with screws or rivets?

Both of my planes (IVs) the seat pan is attached to the tubes with cable ties, through a hole in the fiberglass and around the adjacent tube.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Cable ties sound good. Have you had any issues with that and how close are they spaced. I guess rivets would be OK but difficult to gain access under the pan. I just think screws would always be getting lose from vibration and bouncing around.

Hi my Model III also uses cable ties spaced approx 3 inches apart they have worked with no problems for 670+ hours. I would never consider using screws or rivets as drilling holes in structural members is not a good thing.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

My Kitfox III has the seat attached with very small sheet metal screws. 500+ hours and hasn't failed so far.

Pete
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Thanks for the great ideas. I like the idea of cable ties that is if the seat pan don't rotate around on the support tubes making the bottom of the pan closer to the control tubes when weight is on the seat. It looks like minimum clearance as it is. If the pan gets closer they will rub. I possibly may end up using a combination of ties and rivets