Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: STi STOL vs SS7

Default Re: STi STOL vs SS7

Details? Please🙏

Sure. A gentleman named Glen Saunders worked for Kodiak Research years ago. He was doing some testing on a 914 Kitfox. Not sure if it was a 4 or later model. On one flight he took it up to 29k. He said the engine had some left but the airframe and prop were out of steam. It ****ed out all the coolant and he had to deadstick it back to Ft. Lauderdale airport. Said it took a while to get down, like 20 minutes or more I believe?
    James T
    Valrico, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    I will try and find the interview...
    Are you going to equip for IFR? I think it would be fun to take my 914-powered Kitfox up into the flight levels for giggles, but I'm not going to equip IFR for the privilege. 17999 is good enough for me.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Sure. A gentleman named Glen Saunders worked for Kodiak Research years ago. He was doing some testing on a 914 Kitfox...
    That’s crazy. I wonder if it lost the coolant because the radiator over-pressurized because of the pressure differential because of low ambient air pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Are you going to equip for IFR?...
    I thought about fully IFR and spoke to John about doing it but not worth the money to put a approach approved GPS in it for the hand full of times I would use it. Mostly low vis in the winter. . As far as going to the flight levels....I will have the equipment needed to navigate appropriately on a clear day.

As long as it's severe clear, nobody on the ground will know how you're navigating. Just make sure it's clear: there is little that is more embarrassing than cancelling IFR to avoid clouds.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Ha reminds me when the eclipse jet was first “certified” it was IFR certified but VMC only. Pilots said it was hard to explain why they had to deviate for weather middle of winter, trying to avoid clouds.🙂

Is there anyone with a STI wing on a Model 4? That would be a total beast I would think with a 100hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    You lose 25mph in cruise but you stall 10mph slower with the STI wing
    Is this 25 mph cruise drop a result of the different wing alone? Or is this number also with a grove to cabane gear + tundra tires?