Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dynon Flightdek D180, Apperro ESG3i,

Default Dynon Flightdek D180, Apperro ESG3i,

Considering purchase from Dynon.
    I have been researching previous threads and the general consensus is that people really like this unit despite so many other panel advancements like the Skyview Touch And Garmin G3X Touch. Looking for a compromise on the higher cost of an engine monitor and reliable flight instruments. Seems like the D180 might just fit the bill. Just need to hear some consumer confidence regarding this product and company support. Seems like this product is beginning to take a back seat in light of the higher end product line. Also of note is possible parallax error when viewing the D180 at moderate side angles. My goal is to mount just a few inches right of center. Can any one comment on this product from any perspective? Pros and Cons.

Also considering for purchase is an iPad mini using Foreflight, with ADS-B in and out via a panel mount Apperro transponder (ESG3i) for reliable visual navigation and traffic awareness. Concerned this unit will not be reliable enough for panel mount. I am aware of some folks having overheating issues and shortened battery life. Looking for pilot confidence in this product as well.

Will be using Garmin GNC 250XL for back up nav and primary com. In addition, An airspeed, altimeter will mounted for backup flight instruments. Can get a pic up showing layout shortly.
    Last edited by FlyinFish N928M; 09-26-2018 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added title
    N928M
    Mike
    West Chicago, IL
    Kitfox 5 Speedster, building
    912ULS, Airmaster 332

Default Re: Dynon Flightdek D180, Apperro ESG3i,

Mike, the D180 is a fully capable primary flight instrument and engine monitor. The Kitfox Vixen I’m flying now has it installed and it works perfectly. Really easy to read and uncluttered screen makes finding vital flight data a snap.
    Just this evening I took a quick and dirty video shot with my iPhone while getting in a “just before sunset” flight here in S.W. Arizona. Not great video quality but at about 25 seconds in you can pause it and see the readout. I’m loafing along at something like 5050 rpms or so and doing 110 mph.
    I think it is completely readable even from the other seat so you should be quite happy with the location mentioned in your post although I recommend getting in front of you if possible and putting other things in the center part of the panel.
    The Dynon is completely reliable as where my iPad Air 2 shuts down frequently here in Arizona temps. No way I can or will use the iPad for critical flight data. It is a back up only. My Garmin Area 500 is reliable for weather and traffic data. I love the iPad and Foreflight software but it it suplimentary only.
    Also I’ve installed the Appereo transponder in my project Kitfox but have yet to fly behind it. My EGS transponder does not have ADSB in capabilities though. Only out. Hope this helps.
    Steve

https://youtu.be/JiLUUfuklzA

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks for your valuable input Steve, certainly gives me good food for thought on layout and use of equipment. I am attaching a pic of my panel for review. Was kind hoping for more reliability on the use of iPad. I know Trent Palmer fly's with one and seems so user friendly to put navigation front and center. Appreciate the feedback on viewing angles too. Just want everything to work after all is said and done...

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    N928M
    Mike
    West Chicago, IL
    912ULS, Airmaster 332

Trent has had his iPad shut down also. Guardian has a mount that has a built in fan for keeping the iPad cooler.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Maybe this is just a preference, but I would move the screen that is directly in front of you as high as possible in the panel.

I wouldn't use and iPad as my primary instrument either. I have been using an iPad Mini with an AirGizmo panel mount and never had it overheat; I didn't use the cooling port.

Parallax? There is no such thing when using a screen. Parallax for aircraft instruments describes the difference of what you see when viewing a gauge's needle against the dial from different angles. With a screen WYSIWYG.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Are you looking to purchase used components?

I ask because if you're buying new, a 7" Skyview SE, EMS, Transponder, GPS module, and COM radio costs almost $1500 less than a FlightDek 180, GNC250XL, and Stratus transponder. You'd have pretty much the same overall capability, with a nicer EFIS, and a more nicely integrated system in SkyView.

In terms of layout, I have frequently had my iPad overheat. If it ends up in direct sun, it will be shutting down shortly. A mount with a fan might mitigate this, but I would not rely on an iPad as my primary flight display, especially when you're planing to install an EFIS that makes a very good primary flight display. I would put the EFIS front and center, right in your field of view, and move the iPad to the secondary position.

I also find it a little funny that with a CD player shares the panel with an iPad and and iPhone, each of which stores enough music to put you over gross weight with CDs. (Not a criticism, just a funny thought.)
    Last edited by aviator79; 09-27-2018 at 11:22 AM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Just my 2 cents on Dynon, but I would if at all possible go with the Dynon Skyview rather than the D180. Skyview is the far newer and current technology and is much more likely to be supported with frequent updates and firmware for many years to come. Don't get me wrong, Dynon is a good company and I haven't heard any rumors of the D180 being abandoned, but when I was trying to make this same decision 6 years ago a Dynon sales rep told me basically what I said above. Face it, we all know the inevitable nature of the fast moving electronics market.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Appreciate your inputs everyone,
    The GNC 250 is a previous investment and never used, afraid I will take a big loss trying to resell. Simply trying to integrate along with today’s technology. Mapping, traffic and communications in center stage for touch screen interface, old school airspeed and altitude, at a quick scan for takeoff and land as a backup if the Dynon ever went dark. Figured Dynon positioned just off line of site would be acceptable. Airspeed equals life which is why I considered it within the panel having never flown with a glass airspeed indicator. If I can sell the GNC 250 I would have a clean slate to go for the Skyview system. AmFm CD player was a previous plan too, but why, considering all the newer alternatives. Can anyone suggest the best marketplace for reselling avionics for the hombuilder? The inflight video of the Dynon 180 from DessertFox is very impressive for consideration!

Thank you all!
    N928M
    Mike
    West Chicago, IL
    912ULS, Airmaster 332

I've been extremely happy with my D180. My panel cost me $7500 with iCom A210, 327GTX, Garmin Aera 500 and D180. (I supplement with an iPad Mini and Garmin Glo as a backup, not factored into the cost.)

A comparable Skyview (extremely nice, not saying it isn't!) was $14k when I was shopping a couple years ago.

Last edited by Av8r3400; 09-28-2018 at 07:01 AM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

When I built and bought instruments in 2013 I didn't like the display or additional cost of the Skyview. Now the Skyview might get my attention.
    Having said that, I have the D-180 and after 4 years of flying have had no problems and like the simplicity. In a light sport A/C flying into unimproved strips simple is good. Jeff