Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dynon Flightdek D180, Apperro ESG3i,

Default Re: Dynon Flightdek D180, Apperro ESG3i,

I like the Skyview and have a good idea of how it all integrates, having just finished up a friend's RV8 with one in it. The display is nice and crisp but, to be honest, I really can't see anything that would make me pay the extra over a similar MGL EFIS. The MGL is actually more configurable and the ability to make your own custom screens and indications is better than adding or subtracting various ready-made options on the Dynon.

If I were allowed, in the UK, the freedom you guys have in the US with panels I would simply have a 10" MGL display and a Guardian Avionics flush-mount for an iPad (with cooling fan). The Trig radio (with built in intercom) would be remote mounted, along with the remote mounted Trig transponder. Even better now that you can buy a certified GPS box from MGL that just plugs into the system using the CAN bus and gives all the 'stuff' you need for the ADSB out.

Anyway, at their price point, I think the MGL EFISeseses are well worth looking at.

For me, I am very glad I have all Garmin. As I am completing this install I am noticing that there are numerous occasions where I would have to do more research or more configuring to make things work together with the G3X. Im not implying all this stuff is plug and play but the fact that Garmins software recognizes its own equipment is making things a bit easier I am sure. Maybe I am just imagining it would be harder. There are times I read in the manual that there are items that wouldn't even work with the G3X. Imagine if I had one of those pieces and just discover 1.5 years after purchase that it isn't compatible. Sometimes it may even be a Garmin item that is not compatible. What a bummer that would be.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Since we are talking about various brands and their features, I want to throw out one more piece of information regarding the Dynon Skyview (it may also be true of the D180) that I found extremely helpful. When you purchase the Dynon EMS (engine monitoring system) module you should also purchase their package of engine sensors for your particular engine, in my case the Rotax 912. Then when you go to turn the system on and set everything up, the setup menu lets you tell it you have the Rotax 912 and the appropriate sensors and it then automatically configures most all the sensor readouts, ranges, red-yellow-green ranges and warnings. There is very little you have to do to configure the whole setup except choose the type, size and location of the readout widgets on your screen. I know Advanced Flight Systems (owned by Dynon) also does this and very likely some of the other brands. For me, not being very electrically inclined and not highly computer savvy, it was a tremendous help and confidence builder. As Eddie said, the more you stay with one brand of add-on modules the easier it is to get everything to work together. It probably is not the cheapest way to go, but I have a hunch it will make life much easier for downstream support and troubleshooting.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

WHAT?!!. Garmin didn't do that! That is sweet. I have to go in and program the arcs. Whaaaaaa. I guess were even then, since I have a 912is, I only had to connect the harness to the EMU with a few wires and the panel has all the sensors there. I did'nt have to wire all the sensors individually as some have to do.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X