Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: IVO Ground adjustable

Default IVO Ground adjustable

What static RPM do you want to see on a IVO ground adjustable? 5200?

Default Re: IVO Ground adjustable

Hello,

Did you ever get a reply?

I have an Ivo Ground Adjustable Ultralight prop on my 912 ULS powered Model 5 Vixen. Last December when I flew it for the first time with a new engine, I had little idea of where to set the pitch, static rpm or what the pitch should be for cruise. Truthfully, I do not recall what my current wide open static rpm is, mostly because I am convinced that it is not so important as the cruising rpms, with the ultimate goal being to not overload the propeller (a bite too coarse or too high of a pitch, so as to make the engine work too hard) and/or over speed the engine (with a pitch too flat). Where it’s set now produces a maximum rpm of 5600 WOT (wide open throttle) at my commonly traveled altitude of 2000 feet MSL in my neighborhood. I am adjusting my climb pitch for no less than 5000 rpm in a climb and my cruise rpm is generally about 5200 (trusting my new Grand Rapids EIS more than the older analog dialed electronic tachometer). I arrived at this configuration by reading various back & forth comments between Roger Lee and a collection of Rotax 912 users in various makes of airframes and brands of propellers. Roger is one of the main Rotax technical guys on the Rotax Owners subscription site.

I am also convinced that many Rotax 912 operators are running their engines at rpms too slow. I am trying to get a mind set to make myself cruise at between 5000 and 5300 rpms. I, like many of us, also regularly fly other Continental powered aircraft that cruise in the low to mid 2000’s rpms, so I must overcome my habits and Continental prejudices to run that Rotax too slow. I’ve been told a Rotax 912ULS runs best (and all day long) if run in the low 5000’s.

At my current Ivo Ultralight ground adjustable setting (WOT 5600 at 2000ft msl), I am getting excellent climb (by myself, full fuel, a heavy bag of tools and a fire extinguisher) and I am cruising at an average gps ground speed of 115mph with indicated air speeds in the high yellow part of the arc. I often see a ground speed of 140mph and rarely see less than 90.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

I did a lot of research on the rotax forums and it seems a 5100-5200 static with a 5600 WOT cruise is a about perfect. Cruise at 5200 and you're just about right.

You can adjust RPM +/- 100 for each of those numbers.

My current setup on my 912ul is 5200 ground, 5800 WOT, 5100 cruise.

Works great for me.

My prop is ground adjustable Sensenich ground . the neat thing about it is they provide a pin that is a stop to adjust each blade so just use a different pin for different pitch.
    My plane was set on zero and in preparation incase I fly to Osh. I want to maximize the cruise speed as my buddies can go kitfox speed. I set it to number 3 which makes my static about 4900. Is this my best option?

I recall back when I was pitching my Whirlwind prop., the information I had been given during my training with S&R was to ensure that WOT would get you 100HP on go around. For my 912iS thats 5800rpm. I was told that I should be looking for 5200 -5400 rpm with full throttle and holding the breaks. I originally had mine set up that I was getting 5150 static and I was getting great cruise speeds. I flattened it a bit for safety sake in the event in phase one, while not only testing a new build but also learning still to fly a tailwheel, "when" I needed to "go around" I would have the power.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Your IS must have more power than the ULS I couldn't get my static that high on the lowest pitch setting. More pitch is really cool once you get cruising and I adjusted my take off technique so did lose much runway but I am wondering what it will do with more weight on board getting out of short field over the trees? It also seems like it burns more fuel but it I guess the trade off is it gets you there faster with less time in the air. I am not taking It to OSH so I guess I will dial it backdown for local rides. I got a faster ride to Osh instead