Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite prop?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Favorite prop?

What’s your favorite prop with the 912ULS and why? What cruise speed and climb rate do you see?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by GuppyWN; 09-21-2018 at 11:05 PM.

Default Re: Favorite prop?

I currently fly behind a 78x48" Prince, fixed pitch prop. The takeoff and climb performance are stellar. I give up speed at the top end however.

On a "standard" day, solo with half fuel, I can see 200' takeoff and 2000 fpm climb from my 1500' AGL home field. That same day I will see 110 mph at 5800 rpm.

The guys running the "Luga" ground adjustable props claim similar takeoff and climb, with better top end. I can not confirm or deny this.

If I were to be replacing my prop today, it would be a Luga.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Such........?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like a Luga...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

You're right. We work together. Everything is indicated on my website.
    This propeller is much older than Lugaprop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Warp 3 blade taper tip pitched for 5200 rpm climb at 65 MIAS, Series 7 Sport tri-gear, DA 10,000’, low RH, full fuel, ramp wt 1300#, calm wind, 700 FPM climb, cruise approx 95 MIAS 110 ground speed at 5650 rpm. Pretty damn good performance. Can’t wait to fly the lower country.

Are certain types of props better for higher base altitude flying? Im at about 4400 average for the SLC valley and 6100 feet average for the state.

It does seem like It's hard to find a compromise. If you gain better climb, it seems you loose on the top end.

I would think for my region, a prop that climbs at least 1000 FPM and gets near 120 cruise would be about perfect. Does that type of prop exist?

I have used both a Warp Drive 2-blade and an Ivo Prop medium 3-blade on a series 5 w/ C-0200. What I do remember is that the Ivo Prop was easier to adjust the pitch with than the Warp Drive. I recently had my engine checked out by CA Pwr Systems. While discussing props Brian suggested the 3-blade Warp Drive. Looking at the prices, the prices are comparable. On my current KF5 project, I'm planning to go with the Ivo Prop again.

If you are not going LSA, the Ivo Prop has a cockpit adjustable option, which everyone I know that has it highly recommends it.

Quote Originally Posted by tjentzsch View Post
    Are certain types of props better for higher base altitude flying? Im at about 4400 average for the SLC valley and 6100 feet average for the state.

It does seem like It's hard to find a compromise. If you gain better climb, it seems you loose on the top end.

I would think for my region, a prop that climbs at least 1000 FPM and gets near 120 cruise would be about perfect. Does that type of prop exist?

How much HP do you think a 912 ULS makes at 5500 feet of elevation, to power that prop at take off? Add more HP losses if your motor is normally aspirated, as you gain elevation. It also take less thrust, the higher you go, to go faster,although your ground speed will increase a fair amount over your IAS.

I currently have a GSC propeller on my 80 hp rotax. I have heard some iffy opinions on the propeller. My current choice is going to be a UL IVO IFA.

What are your thoughts on the GSC prop?

Any opinions on different options?