Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Instrument brand

Default Instrument brand

Looking to price out a 6 pack and curious as to what brand people like?
    I have seen some range from a few hundred to thousands of dollars per instrument.

Also looking for size. Trying to mentally put together a layout for the panel so size is important.

My plan is for a ipad (most likely a 10" pro for forflight use) on the left-center with the 6 pack near the center bottom of the panel with coms/transponder center top or slightly off centered to the right.
    Last edited by tjentzsch; 09-23-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Default Re: Instrument brand

if you haven't done it yet , you might want to look into the iPads overheating. my mini iPad gets really warm using flyq. its mounted using ram mounts and not panel mounted. i did have it overheat one time. just something to think about.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Quote Originally Posted by cap01 View Post
    if you haven't done it yet , you might want to look into the iPads overheating. my mini iPad gets really warm using flyq. its mounted using ram mounts and not panel mounted. i did have it overheat one time. just something to think about.
    I have heard about that, thanks. The panel mount I was looking at has a fan that comes with it for this exact reason. Not sure how well it works, but any airflow should help a lot.

If you are going to get an iPad, but an iLevil bom. Tons of stuff packed into it and cheaper than a 6 pack
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    If you are going to get an iPad, but an iLevil bom. Tons of stuff packed into it and cheaper than a 6 pack
    This guy: http://levilaviation.com/product/bom...-outer-module/

Unhappy Re: Instrument brand

Quote Originally Posted by tjentzsch View Post
    Looking to price out a 6 pack and curious as to what brand people like?
    One of the more compelling reasons to fly Experimental aircraft is to get away from the “mandated obsolescence” of certified. Why install steam gages when there are less expensive, more reliable, smaller, lighter alternatives? For the price of an old six pack you could have new technology.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Well said Jon; I agree completely. The new stuff is so complete and reliable you don't need to mess with an iPad except for backup. I'm really curious why so many guys install the old steam gauges because they like the old "look and feel", but then they cobble up some afterthought looking mounting for an iPad. Some iPad mountings look ok and "built-in" I will admit, but it still seems to me to be an attempt to overcome the inadequacies of the old technology. Just my own opinion being thrown out there.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Makes sense, thanks for the input.

So basically a D-6 or similar all-in-one EFIS is all I would need? I guess I like having the redundancy of gauges as a backup in case the EFIS failed then I would have some instruments.

Lets say I do run something like a D-6 or other all-in-one system, what would be the best instruments to have as back up if not a full 6-pack?

As mentioned, the ipad will be used primarily for forflight. I had not actually considered using it for flight controls via other hardware/software options like the Talos.
    Last edited by tjentzsch; 09-24-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Here's my 2 cents on backup instruments:
    For VFR flight, the Kitfox is easily flown without any instruments at all (except for engine monitoring). You just look out the window for altitude and use the attitude techniques you were taught for airspeed; therefore you don't need any backup flight instruments. Navigation is the only consideration for backup. In my home state and some nearby others, I don't need any navigation aids 95% of the time, I just use pilotage, so the odds of needing backup navigation is nearly nil. A longer x-country flight may require backup navigation, but on those flights I am nearly always flying with a buddy or two, so the other airplane is my backup. OK, it probably would be comforting to have your own navigation backup, so I have a GPS app on my smartphone, Avare, that would serve very well as an emergency backup. I also carry a Sporty's handheld radio that serves as my backup radio, but it also includes old fashioned VOR navigation as a third navigation backup for me. I do know how to use VORs and always carry aeronautical charts with me (I admit they are out of date, but would serve well in an emergency to look up VOR frequencies).

So there you have it, just a simple panel with an all-in-one screen, a radio and intercom and a wet compass for good measure and no other instruments, leaving plenty of panel room for a generous glove box.

You asked about brands, and I chose Dynon Skyview, but there are several other good brands out there for somewhat less money. Don't forget the ADS-B mandate; choose a screen with WAAS GPS that is already set up to easily incorporate ADS-B out and in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

If you are VFR only, a single screen EFIS w/ backup battery and a charged GPS-equipped iPad in your flight bag is all the backup you should need. You're double-redundant at that point. When you are VFR, most of your flight instruments are just backups for what you see outside all of all the glorious glass in a Kitfox.

If you absolutely, positively can't be without a round backup gauge, install an airspeed indicator. Trent's setup with an ASI behind his iPad is pretty clever. Unnecessary, in my opinion, but clever.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS