Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

Default Re: Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

Can any of you out there that built your wings any advise on when to add the trailing edge pieces now or later?
    Have you installed the tanks and #2 partial ribs? You need to install the tank to install #2 rib, which you'll need to install before the trailing edge piece between ribs 1 and 3.

I can't think of a reason not to install the trailing edge on the rest of the wing, but I also had quickbuild wings, so my advice is unreliable.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I built my wings and installed the trailing edge from rib #3 out before the fuel tank went in. I did that for the very reason you’re talking about, ie catching my clothing on the rib most times I walked by. You can’t finish the trailing edge installation because you need the tank in place in order to set up rib#2 and get the lower surface profile sorted for the long unsupported cap of that rib, if that makes sense. You do the initial rigging of the wing to fuselage without the tank in place.
    Last edited by David47; 09-27-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I have the STI and it comes mostly assembled, but you don’t won’t trailing edge (at least between rib 1 to 3) until the wing is on the aircraft, because you don’t want to install rib 1 until it’s on the plane because the spars moves slightly. Then you glue rib one in place and then install the training edge. The trailing edge is left off from rib 1 to rib 3 until rib 1 is in place and that’s not installed until the wing is on the aircraft.

My new tanks arrived and I've cleaned and tested them and am ready to install them. I am doing the left tank first (for no particular reason except it was the one on the saw horses). In reading page 40, step 7, of the online manual where it says apply structural adhesive between the top cap strip and wing tank edge on ribs #1 & #3 ribs. This is a little nebulous. Also, there is a gap between the tank and the #1 rib of up to 3/8" and up to 1/4" at #3 rib.
    Can anyone elaborate on this step as to how to accommodate the gap, as in what keeps the structural adhesive in place while it sets up?

Also, the tank sits on top of the spar attach brackets. Does anything need to be done to the tank to accommodate the brackets of just let it sit on top of the brackets? See below:
    20190923_093736.jpg
    Thanks,
    Maverick

Okay, here it goes. Many questions on this in the past. Be aware of the clearance you have for the fuel fittings and the finger strainer at the #1 rib. Some people have trimmed the tank edge at the #3 rib to allow the tank to be pushed out further to get the space for the fuel fittings. I notched the #1 rib capstrip so that the fuel fitting will spin. Im still not certain it is going to work. I question if I have adequate space to get the finger strainer out. Anyhow, whenever you trim from the tank flange you will need to do your leak test again on the tank. However you chose to do it, the next problem is getting the gap filled with structural adhesive. My gap was maybe slightly wider than what is in your pic. I just used painters tape and stuck it under the tank flange to the web of the ribs. I used flox in the Hysol and filled the gap. It won't be smooth and nice so use some Super Fil to allow sanding after its dry. As for the overlap on the spar. I left mine as yours appears to be. I used Super Fil to feather out the transition from fiberglass to underlying structure. I think I used a dremel to remove a little fiberglass at the point it lays over the rivets.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

You can either notch or relieve the tank corner so the spar reinforcement doesn't hold the tank up.
    I used some aluminum tape on the underside of the rib cap-tank flange to span this gap and then put the Hysol in the gap. I only did it at the #1 rib, and used some spacer blocks at the #3 rib because it leaves room for rib stitching.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Access to the fitting and finger strainer isn't real good without some mods. As Jim O did, made sure the tank was positioned outboard in the bay as far as reasonable to get a little space. Temporary tape to support the hysol fill as Jim did works sweet. Nothing wrong with inventing a little access port on the bottom of the wing next to the rib either - using a similar aluminum cutout to the ones for the lift strut brackets - easy enough to support the fabric, fabricate a little cover panel and a couple screws to make life easier.

Photo attached:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Next question: the manual says after you put a bead on the tank and place it on the spars, it says to clamp the tank to the spars until the silicone dries. I think that I could use ratchet tie down straps to do this but, is there a better solution?
    Thanks for the replies.

If you use ratchets, any gap between the spars and tank will result in the spars being pull in inward. Could be an issue, or could not be an issue....

I haven't done this yet, but I would make some wide wood blocks contoured to the spar diameter to give the clamps a level spot to clamp, and also distribute the load so you dont damage the spar.
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

When installing the tanks, you don't want to pull the spars in at all. What you do want to do is pull the tanks down so the front and rear flanges seat solidly on the spars; this is so the top of the tanks match the top contour of the wing ribs on both sides. It should not take a lot of force; I relieved just a LITTLE material from the underside of the tank flanges in a few spots to get a good fit; then no clamping was necessary.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS