Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

I've built my own wings for a 7 SS and I checked the dimensions for rib placement against your 5. They are exactly the same and my drag braces fitted with no problem - drag brace length adjustment was achieved by sliding the brace tube in or out of each end fitting and then riveting them in place. I'm assuming you have a similar arrangement for your drag struts. It gets a bit tight, but they should fit. Maybe try again.

Info: The distance, centreline to centreline, between end ribs for any two bays containing a drag brace is 35.5" in each case; e.g. between #3 to #5 = 35.5", #5 to #7 = 35.5" etc.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Talking Re: Wing Build/Fuel Tank Install

I spoke with John McBean at KF, Inc. and he said that my measurements were correct. I gave him the length of the drag struts and they were 3/4" too long so I followed the assembly instructions and cut the drag tubes down as needed so everything fit together. Left wing glued together today. Thanks all.

I have my left wing ribs and drag braces installed and glued up and am thinking about the next steps, i.e. hanging the wings on the fuselage to rig the location of the strut braces and the wing root hole locations in the spars. In working, it seemed to me that I was frequently catching myself hanging on the rear of the ribs and wondered if there is any reason not to put the trailing edge on the ribs before moving forward. I think of this a means of strengthening the ribs and preventing me from catching something on the ribs while in the process of installing the wings.

Can any of you out there that built your wings any advise on when to add the trailing edge pieces now or later?

I have pre-assembled wings and they were nearly completed with the exception of the bay behind the fuel tank. In that light, I have now idea why completing the trailing edge would be a problem. I don't recall if I closed the trailing edge before or after the tank went in.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I have the STI and it comes mostly assembled, but you don’t won’t trailing edge (at least between rib 1 to 3) until the wing is on the aircraft, because you don’t want to install rib 1 until it’s on the plane because the spars moves slightly. Then you glue rib one in place and then install the training edge. The trailing edge is left off from rib 1 to rib 3 until rib 1 is in place and that’s not installed until the wing is on the aircraft.

When installing the tanks, you don't want to pull the spars in at all. What you do want to do is pull the tanks down so the front and rear flanges seat solidly on the spars; this is so the top of the tanks match the top contour of the wing ribs on both sides. It should not take a lot of force; I relieved just a LITTLE material from the underside of the tank flanges in a few spots to get a good fit; then no clamping was necessary.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post

Can any of you out there that built your wings any advise on when to add the trailing edge pieces now or later?
    Have you installed the tanks and #2 partial ribs? You need to install the tank to install #2 rib, which you'll need to install before the trailing edge piece between ribs 1 and 3.

I can't think of a reason not to install the trailing edge on the rest of the wing, but I also had quickbuild wings, so my advice is unreliable.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I built my wings and installed the trailing edge from rib #3 out before the fuel tank went in. I did that for the very reason you’re talking about, ie catching my clothing on the rib most times I walked by. You can’t finish the trailing edge installation because you need the tank in place in order to set up rib#2 and get the lower surface profile sorted for the long unsupported cap of that rib, if that makes sense. You do the initial rigging of the wing to fuselage without the tank in place.
    Last edited by David47; 09-27-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    David
    SS7 Builder

That should be fine, within reason of course.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I was thinking of setting something on top of the tank to weight it down. It seems like that would do the trick but, I don't know if that would be a problem.