Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight & Balance form LSA & Exp needed

Default Re: Weight & Balance form LSA & Exp needed

Hi Fred,

The forward and aft limits are specified and don't change for a particular design. The airplane should have been flight-tested while loaded as close to both forward and then aft limits as possible. What you calculate if necessary, and make sure of, is that you are somewhere between those limits with your center of gravity (CG) whenever you fly.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Could you show me a copy of yours so can compare t to what I have? Is yours 1550?
    Sothe link he hared isnot for doing daily calculation for the original wb

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    I am sorry I a not getting this. I am a bit rusty on WB. In my case it is a tricycle gear . I weigh 180, no passenger, 156 lbs of fuel, 50 lbs baggage in a model 7ss.
    1- how would I figure what is forward or aft for my flight. The mains are behind me so pilot and fuel would be forward and the baggage goes in aft?
    2- do I use the fore and aft for every flight?
    3- what do I do with those figures? As long as the fore and aft both fall between the 16 and 10 numbers
    Fred,
    Excuse me if I am misinterpreting your words above, but the datum for W&B calculations is the wing leading edge. The gear configuration will effect the empty CG, but is not the datum you would measure from in determining the "arm" for pilot/passenger, baggage, fuel, etc.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I don't want to get "preachy" but by reading some of the posts here, it may help for some to restudy the principles of W&B from their ground school course.

There is a requirement that a W&B sheet be in the aircraft at all times. This is the calculation done when in preparation for issuance of the Air Worthiness Certificate. It may also be done at any other time as deemed necessary due to changes in the configuration of the aircraft. It is done with the aircraft empty, i.e. no fuel, no baggage no people. There is a W&B calculation worksheet included in the plans/direction manual. It is from this that the pilot is required to compute that the aircraft is loaded within the CG range for each flight. With our Kitfoxes, you can use the spread sheet, with the information for your aircraft and play "what if" loadings by changing the weight of the pilot/passengers, fuel load and baggage to determine if you are property loaded within the max/min. range before flight.

Ralph

Thank you for all this input. I guess I was just confused why we had to calculate fore and aft for every light but this form is designed for finding the fore and aft when weighing he plane.

Hi FF,

To cut to the chase,

1) The concept "most adverse" forward and aft, is primarily a concept used in first flight and testing - a person's DAR normally discusses this with the applicant and the reason is to assure that first time the plane leaves the ground the engineered W/B is not exceeded by throwing something in the plane in a manner that would cause that.

2) For routine flying we assure that our actual load is within the engineered fore and aft limits for the plane as listed in the weight and balance document (to which the plane has carefully been tested in phase 1).

I think you are getting it, but it is easy to overthink if the two concepts get mixed.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

All of your questions are answered in the FAA handbook " Aircraft Weight and Balance Handbook", It can be obtained from places such as Sporty's, Aircraft Spruce, EAA, or other firms offering FFA publications.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    ........, or other firms offering FFA publications.

For the record, FFA (Future Farmers of America) does not carry this information
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Most FAA handbooks are available online for free as a PDF. Here is the W&B book:
    https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...A-H-8083-1.pdf

If you are building or doing maintenance it's a good idea to have the following FAA books: AC43.13-1B, Airframe, General and Powerplant Handbooks

I don't know if the FFA had free books.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016