Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 915?

Default Re: Rotax 915?

I was just trying to get the jest of this thread. I'm sure any engine would work. I just don't see the 915 being a viable answer
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

There are always people who want more. If one has the money and wants the option, it is available. Dodge sells a Tradesman version of the Ram that is basic. The Laramie is 15 grand more and some people think it is worth it to have leather seats, heated steering wheel, and a navigation system (and more). The 915 is expensive, but offers extra performance that fits this airframe.

People add VG’s, big tires, strut fairings, Big Bore kits, turbos, and other stuff to enhance performance in different areas. Some are cheap, some are expensive. This is just an extension of that process. An expensive one. But there are people who will spend the money. Does anyone really need a Garmin G3X? Lots of people buy them.

Trent was happy with what he had until he flew the 915. He decided it was worth the money for what he does. And there are others who intend to install the engine on their planes. I would love to have one, but I don’t need one and can’t justify the expense for the type of flying I will do.

The original docs for the 915 said it had to have a CS prop but I’ve seen two installs (including Trents) that are running a fixed pitch.

The ability to use a fixed pitch seems like it could save 8-15k. Might not get the full advantage of the engine.

Re avionics it sounds like you need to have their Fadec as the g3x doesn’t provide the same insight. Any reason for this? And is the fadec included in the 30k price?

Note that one reason for not putting a CS prop on it is that you can’t classify the plane as a LSA/eLSA

It's a $38,667 engine. That does not include the control unit. You'd be leaving a lot on the table by not putting a constant speed prop on it. It's like buying a Corvette with only one gear. I don't think this hits the mark for a builder who is trying to stick to a budget and keep it LSA. The 912iS serves that market.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I think everyone is looking at the 915 option wrong...

Let's face it, Trent went out and competed in the STOL drags in his new 915 powered Kitfox AND BEAT EVERYTHING THERE EXCEPT a turbine PT6 powered multi-million dollar "extremely modified for STOL" Wilga (that incidentally is still wowing the aviation world). Oh, and he did that without having the constant speed prop on his plane that really will make that 915 perform, AND he had virtually no experience in his Kitfox with that engine on it!

So 30k, 50k, 60k, or whatever? Even if that engine install was 100k, that is damn impressive. And regardless of the price, it also proves just how capable the Kitfox really is.

I salute Trent and Kitfox Aircraft for working so hard to bring us that great option and to show us just how capable our planes can be. Even more amazing, it is still only about half the price of a Carbon Cub.

It's all a matter of perspective.

And don't think there haven't been a few of us thinking about how a Model 4 might crank up with a 915 on it

Not to argue with your point on the 915, Paul, BUT, Trent did not have the second best time at High Sierra. That honor belongs to Steve Henry who met Mike/Draco in the first round and was eliminated.

Someone put up the times for the entire bracket of races (which I can't find now...) and Steve would have beat any and all of Trents runs handily. Steve's new turbo-Yamaha (near 300 hp) powered plane is being built with the sole purpose of beating Draco...

This is not intended to take away from Trent's accomplishments with the new FreedomFox build and everyone who took part in it.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks for that info Larry. I didn't know that.

I think you know that I really like both Steve and Trent, but in Trent's defense his Kitfox is pretty much a stock Kitfox STI with a 915is and a few extra bells and whistles / creature comforts making it a bit heavier than it really needs to be. Comparably Steve Henry's Highlander is a pretty wild, far from stock Highlander with Oratex covering, bare bones, everything possible done to lighten it up, and uses modded out extended wings, flaps, etc, and then uses a 160 hp yamaha snowmobile engine that has been modified for aircraft use, not a production aircraft engine like the Rotax is. Oh, and he uses nitrous too!

I was wondering how it was that Trent could beat Steve's Super Nitrous Highlander, and now I know. But honestly, if Trent could even run on the tail of Draco and Steve Henry's Nitrous Highlander with his relatively stock Kitfox 915 STI, it says a lot.

Geez, a 300 hp Highlander? Wow'sa...

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Not to argue with your point on the 915, Paul, BUT, Trent did not have the second best time at High Sierra. That honor belongs to Steve Henry who met Mike/Draco in the first round and was eliminated.

Someone put up the times for the entire bracket of races (which I can't find now...) and Steve would have beat any and all of Trents runs handily. Steve's new turbo-Yamaha (near 300 hp) powered plane is being built with the sole purpose of beating Draco...

This is not intended to take away from Trent's accomplishments with the new FreedomFox build and everyone who took part in it.
    Not to poo poo on Steve's accomplishments but the wind played a huge factor as it picked up. Toby raced right after Steve and had a I think a 1:23.24 time vs Steve's 1:22.76 . After the wind picked up the times were almost all a few seconds longer including Draco(1:17 first round vs his winning 1:21) . Toby's 3rd place win was with a time of 1:27.39 vs his 1:23.24. Trent's second place winning time was 1.27:27

Steve's time was impressive and I think his machine would have beat Trent with way more HP and lighter weight. I'm just saying that Trent's time would have been close than people think and EVERYONE who builds a plane has the ability to build a Kitfox that performs like Trent's with no experimentation. The same can't necessarily be said for a Nitrous Apex powered modified Highlander.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Very good explanation Esser. It makes a lot of good points.

Really doesn’t matter because a “stock” Kitfox is never going to beat a machine like Draco. It’s like a drag race with a pro modified vs a Chevy Impala. Only way to make it interesting is to break it up into classes.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF