Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bringing a Model 1 back to life

Default Re: Bringing a Model 1 back to life

I’m considering my options on the engine. Now that I’ve had a better chance to look at it, it looks like the pto side bearing spun in the case, at least a little. I just posted my first awful youtube video, looking at it. https://youtu.be/dQWpNY1JKvk
    I did order bearings, the three outers, but they won’t be in for a couple weeks. I think the center bearings are 6206, same as the pto side. I couldn’t find a reman provision 4 crank. Of course, I might end up needing a crankcase. Better go dual ignition if I end up doing that. I’m going to get a professional opinion on the crankcase. It’s really not that bad. I do think the bearings should be loctited in place, to prevent things like this.
    Rotax Rick responded to my email about servicing the crank. He has been good about responding quickly to my emails. He quoted $150, plus shipping, to do the outer bearings and make sure it’s true. He uses aftermarket bearings with a slightly smaller o-ring groove, and recommended Permatex Ultra Gray sealant to stick the bearings in place, rather than trusting the o-ring. Now I need to see about doing center bearings. Might as well do pins and rod bearings while I’m at it. That is, if the crankcase is usable. The bearing that appears to have spun is the largest one, the only one with an o-ring on it, as per my manuals, and the only main bearing with no noticable play in it. The provision 8 motors have all of the bearings of that same larger size.
    A bit more of a project than I bargained for, but I’m still happy with it.
    Last edited by Good old number 29; 09-12-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Here is Rick's answer on the crank and bearings:
    "Change the outer 3 bearings. The rod bearings & play look good. The center bearings only keep the crank from bowing. Get the FAG Nylon ball space bearings. There the only safe Aircraft bearing."
    I sent him pics and a link to the video, along with the explanation in my email. Dave, at ADB, had advised to go only with Rotax bearings. I had ordered them before I got the reply from Rick, which was pretty quick. I think either one is a fine answer. Anyone have experience with the German made F.A.G. bearings that Rick uses? I might be able to cancel my order with CPS, on the other bearings, if they're really better. I know that Rick does a lot of Rotax motors. Dave is probably the top guy in the state to do this kind of work, so I probably can't go wrong, either way. The one big plus that I see, having ADB do the work, is that it's as close to local as I'll get. I can take it to him and pick it up when he's done. He does this kind of work, himself, instead of his employees.
    Moving on, I picked up some adhesive and self etching primer, tonight, to clean up and prep the spars, and reattach the false ribs. I plan to start on that tomorrow, God willing. My goal for this is to have it airworthy in a month. It's a lot of work, but not too much to ask. I need to start prep for the wing tanks. I have a plan for the Flapperon reinforcing brackets. Reading more on the subject, I think I'll do all of them, rather than just the inner and outers. There have been a few failures of the hanger ribs, and I don't want to take chances with thirty year old plywood. I'll seal it good and sandwich them with the brackets, as in the Service Bulletin. When I take the wings off, I'll weld on the doubling plates for the lift struts. Positive 6 g's + at full gross. Sign me up.
    The big factor in my timeframe is going to be getting everything delivered. I have plenty of work to do, in the meantime, but getting everything here in a timely manner will be key to wrapping it up.

Back to the prop question. Ivoprop? What I have is a climb prop. I don't mind it, but I think it's underpropped. It also had 145 main jets, which didn't seem right. We're sea level and cold. Specs call for 158 mains with the 503 dual carb, so I ordered them. I'm thinking a 64" three blade Ivo ground adjust would be most suitable. It's the 52 hp 503 dual carb with 2.58:1 B gearbox. I could stick with the 66x28 GSC. We know it worked, but I've already been told it was lacking, compared to the other 66x28 prop that came with it. Both are triple blade, wood. I think that's the way to go, for vibration, but a two blade would be lighter, and a composite would be more durable. Opinions, favorites, or experiences?

I had the same issues with the false ribs being warped on a model III I rebuilt. I took them off and cleaned them up then clamped them between two flat pieces of
    steel (anything flat and solid) then steamed them for a few of hours. Let them dry out for a couple of days. They came out straight as new.
    have fun
    Skip

Some people pointed out that the Avidfoxflyers forum was more oriented to this type of project, so I am moving my posts to:
    http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.p...-back-to-life/

It's come a long way since I last posted here. This is a link to pics of the project. <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/Theonlynamenottaken2/embed/story"></iframe>

Cutting and pasting that link doesn't work for me.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Default A living, breathing, Kitfox 1

Here it is! Alive again. I’m not sure what happened to the pictures I had posted on here, but hopefully this one sticks. It was a beautiful day for flying. About 8° F, clear and calm. A friend and Avid Fox Flyer took it up for the test flight. Three adjustments to the Powerfin prop got it dialed in just right. The motor and prop were smooth, with no problems. I thank God and all the good people that helped me along the way. This has been a great project. I’m glad I did it, and I’m really excited to be able to fly it now.

C1B8F729-89FF-4718-A4A5-229C51DAA06B.jpg

Default Taking flight

Taking off in my Kitfox. Serial number 29. This was the second test flight, and the prop was still pitched a little fine. The cabane gear is something I made from a pair of J3 Cub gear legs. Other than that, it’s original, with some attention to the various Service Letters and Bulletins that affected it, and were all addressed. The original, dual carb, single points ignition, Rotax 503 ran like a champ. Panel fuel tank. No header tank or wing tanks. I have two new 13 gallon wing tanks that I got from Kitfox, but I’m waiting to install them after I get some time flying it. I wanted to keep it light, basic, and as close to its original form as I reasonably could, at first. It came in at 440 pounds with the smaller tires.
    Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/g4SV0OGmicc

Enjoy!

Looked and sounded great. Excellent ending to your project. Or should I say A great new beginning!
    "Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive." Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: N46KF, 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul 110hp, G3x with 2 axis a/p, Beringer wheels & brakes, SS7 firewall forward, NR prop, Custom paint