Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Painting with Stewarts System

Default Re: Painting with Stewarts System

There are three layers on there now. The whole fuselage was painted battleship gray first. That first color went on well. The black trim second color was where the issues began. The gray was on for quite awhile before the black. Stewart’s System does go on thicker than anything I have sprayed. And some small parts I painted gray earlier had a thicker layer of paint as I learned how to spray SS. Had no problems with the gray.

The mil thickness of the Aerothane is fairly thin. The Stits rep said three coats but I was satisfied with the color saturation and look after two.

The guy that painted my plane did it full time for a living, working for a company that restores Stearmans. They exclusively use the PolyFiber system and use Aerothane for the final color coats. He told me that when you are all done, you should still be able to barely see the weave of the fabric thru the paint; if you can't, then you put on more than necessary. Two color coats is generally enough. I'm just passing this on from a professional since I know nothing about it myself.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

My first gray coat shows a slight amount of weave. SS says if you want to fill more of the weave do it with more coats of their UV block carbon Ecofill. Less expensive than paint. My goal on the Aerothane was to cover/fill as many of the pinholes as possible. Which, thankfully, was attained.