Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuel Line & Cable Routing

Default Fuel Line & Cable Routing

I'm wondering how fuel lines and electrical cables get from the wings to the area behind the seat pan. Once my baggage sack and seat pan are installed, the cabin area is pretty much sealed off from the aft fuselage. I looked around on the forum but I'm not seeing any good pictures of this.

I can only see two places to route these items:

One is the pass-through slits sewn into the baggage sack for the flaperon pushrods, but I'm guessing that's a bad idea for fear of fouling the pushrods.

The other is the forward inboard corners of the small storage compartments in the baggage sack (behind the pilot's left shoulder and passenger's right shoulder). If I pull that inboard corner of the nylon outboard and aft, it opens about a 1" x 2" rectangle to the area below, at the cost of distorting the storage compartment (someone with sewing skills could modify this location to make a cleaner pass-through):

Baggage Sack 1.jpg Baggage Sack 2.jpg

So, how does one get the fuel lines and electrical cables from the wings down into the fuselage, below the baggage sack and behind the seat pan?
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Default Re: Fuel Line & Cable Routing

Bundle it neatly, and run it down the diagonal tube(s) behind the pilot and passenger heads. I made
    padded covers that wrap around the tubes, and bundle with velcro fasteners. Looks good, hides the wires,
    and fuel lines, and easy to look under.

Jeff

What Jeff described is exactly how you do it in the SS7, in fact the SS7 interior kit comes with the velcro covers that he described.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks, guys. I understand how to gather them into a bundle, and I've got the fabric cover for them. What I don't understand is how that bundle gets past the horizontal steel tube at top of the seat pan. That area seems to be completely blocked by the seat pan and the baggage sack, with no obvious pass-through for the fuel lines and cables. How are you getting the bundle into the area behind the seat?
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings

Just pull the corner of the baggage sack back a little. I can't remember for sure, but I think I might have cut a little off those corners. If you do, seal the edges with a soldering iron so it won't fray.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

OK, thanks Jim. That's more or less what I was thinking. Can't see any other solution.
    Eric Page
    Map of Landings