Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Sun/snow bads news for Kitfox?

Default Sun/snow bads news for Kitfox?

I am thinking about getting a used Kitfox and wonder if I need to limit my search to hangared/garaged planes due to negative impact of UV and snow?

Default Re: Sun/snow bads news for Kitfox?

Absolutely! The more protected, the better. Any tube and fabric airplane should be hangered. The sun is almost as bad as the weather. Paint and fabric will suffer and rot and corrosion will be a problem. I had another tube and fabric plane that I kept under an open hanger for 15 years. There was a dirt road about 50 yards away so I had to wash it regularly. The paint still faded and the humidity caused rust, even with a good roof overhead. These planes are not waterproof. There's lots of places for water to seep in. Water may get trapped in places that will do damage. Now the good news. I think it will be hard to find a Kitfox that hasn't been hangered. I can't imagine leaving mine tied down outside for any length of time . I feel sure others feel the same about theirs. James Thomas

I think you're 100% correct!
    Bartman
    Retired USAF
    Kitfox 5
    N617BR

Thanks! To quote an old saying "even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while. "

Yes, fabric aircraft needed to be hangared. If they are kept out of the elements and UV then the fabric can last 20 years or more.

If you want to do a fabric recovering job than you could buy a project, but it is going to need more work than just the fabric & paint.

Whatever used plane you buy get somebody knowledgable to help do a pre-buy inspection.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks everyone for your input!