Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: New to the Kitfox Forum

Default Re: New to the Kitfox Forum

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    I already had a rainy day fund saved up. And it certainly wasnt earning much interest in the bank. But i was able to get my SS7 done for about $55k. I already had an O-200 that i rebuilt myself. I only have about $12k in the engine. And i wanted steam gauges, half of which are used. As well as a used comm and transponder. I have less than $5k in my panel. And my wife is good at sewing so she made the seats, interior and baggage sack.
    It's all in what you want and how resouceful you are.
    Ken
    Great info, thank you.

Hello David,

Always great to see more Colorado Kitfox builders. I just received my airworthiness cert on my Super Sport and am planning to fly here shortly. I live in Colorado Springs and there are a few other Kitfox builders in this area and Denver. If your in the area, I would be happy to show you my build. Good luck!

Eric

Awesome Eric I would love to get together. Next time I head over to the Front Range I'll get in touch and we can meet up. Love to see what you've done and hear your story.

David

Hey guys

Great to see all the chat going on here. As a new member to the forum I have a lot of catching up to do.

I might say another few words about my approach to cost. I've done a lot of projects in my life, mostly construction but also some other types of things like event planning, school programs and a cruising sailboat in the Caribbean. I know from experience that I always see things in a rosy light when I'm first thinking about them and planning them. And no matter how much time and effort I spend in the lead up phase, I always get hammered a bit during the execution phase.

Building contractors love to low ball project costs to clients in order to get the project rolling and secure the contract. I've lost a lot of jobs over the years to these guys, because my estimates were thorough and conservative. And I've also underbid and had to eat the shortfall ! Not fun.

So I tend to be as complete as I can (the spreadsheet) and price for what I know I can buy for, not for what I hope I can negotiate for later.

Also there is inflation. When I first did the spreadsheet last year the total cost was less because the kit package and component costs were less. When I went to check it over I noticed Kitfox had increased their prices on almost everything. In addition to those increases, with a project that could take 1-5 years you may want to plan for additional price increases unless you can buy everything right away.

Another consideration for me is that I always want to do things at the highest quality level I am capable of. So I know that if there is a component that costs x dollars and a better component that costs x + 20% dollars I will probably go for the better item. One reason I have never started an airplane build project is that I want to make sure I have at least 50% of the total cost in cash at the beginning.

I owned a sailboat for a couple of years - my life dream to leave the country and live on the cheap in the tropics. What an education that was. Every time I turned around I had to drop a couple hundred bucks, and anything of real note cost in the thousands. I burned through my entire life savings in two and a half years and sold it for pennies on the dollar. It was a powerful lesson - one I would not wish on anyone of modest means.

So what I'm trying to say in a long-winded post is that YOU may be able to build a Kitfox for way less than I can. If you are crafty and have modest expectations and plenty of time etc. There's always guys who are really good at maximising every penny spent.

"Another consideration for me is that I always want to do things at the highest quality level I am capable of. So I know that if there is a component that costs x dollars and a better component that costs x + 20% dollars I will probably go for the better item."
    I had to look up to see if I had wrote that. Thats Exactly how I am. I mean, Why do I have the second Garmin screen on my Panel?. One would have been more than enough.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by WestColoradoHopeful View Post
    ...I always see things in a rosy light when I'm first thinking about them and planning them.

...Every time I turned around I had to drop a couple hundred bucks, and anything of real note cost in the thousands.
    I think these statements sum up the reality of the situation, and I think your estimate is probably not unreasonable.

I have not kept an accounting down the the nearest hundred bucks. I can say for sure that my major purchases total ~$90k, and that's pretty much the best of everything: All the popular options, Rotax 914, Airmaster Prop, Dynon/AFS QuickPanel, factory interior etc. The only "break" I got was on a freshly overhauled 914 for $24k, instead of the nearly $32k that a new one costs.

Every month, I spend more on tools, consumables, and things that are required that don't come with the kit. The kit is very comprehensive, but does not come with all the Poly Fiber chemicals you need to cover it. I also periodically find out that there is some option I thought I didn't need, but change my mind as time passes, and the big hit of the initial order fades from memory. All this has added several thousand dollars. Why don't I track it closely? Because to me it's money spent on a hobby, so I keep it in that budget category. Fretting over the expense would detract from the experience.

If you get lucky, are patient, and/or are wiling to settle for not exactly what you want, you can find used engines, props, and avionics that can bring the cost down substantially. Otherwise, a bare-bones S7 will cost at least $70k to build if you start now.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    I think these statements sum up the reality of the situation, and I think your estimate is probably not unreasonable.

I have not kept an accounting down the the nearest hundred bucks. I can say for sure that my major purchases total ~$90k, and that's pretty much the best of everything: All the popular options, Rotax 914, Airmaster Prop, Dynon/AFS QuickPanel, factory interior etc. The only "break" I got was on a freshly overhauled 914 for $24k, instead of the nearly $32k that a new one costs.

Every month, I spend more on tools, consumables, and things that are required that don't come with the kit. The kit is very comprehensive, but does not come with all the Poly Fiber chemicals you need to cover it. I also periodically find out that there is some option I thought I didn't need, but change my mind as time passes, and the big hit of the initial order fades from memory. All this has added several thousand dollars. Why don't I track it closely? Because to me it's money spent on a hobby, so I keep it in that budget category. Fretting over the expense would detract from the experience.

If you get lucky, are patient, and/or are wiling to settle for not exactly what you want, you can find used engines, props, and avionics that can bring the cost down substantially. Otherwise, a bare-bones S7 will cost at least $70k to build if you start now.

Hey Brian that is awesome to hear about your build. You sound pretty resourceful and still somewhat relaxed about the whole thing. Seems like you're going top of the line on this project. Let's stay in touch.

I'm feeling good about my $100,000 budget. Might be a bit high but probably just about right. Any savings I can find I'll use to offset some of the other miscellaneous costs that fall outside of actual materials and supplies.

How far along are you ? Are you doing tri gear or tailwheel ?

Quote Originally Posted by WestColoradoHopeful View Post
    How far along are you ? Are you doing tri gear or tailwheel ?
    Look here. I try to update weekly.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS