Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the Kitfox Forum

Default Re: New to the Kitfox Forum

I love love to meet up! Maybe having someone going through the process would be a great motivator!

I saw a few things I probably would change a little in hopes of bring cost down. I might not go for the turbo engine, but at least FI. I live at about 4700 feet and the extra power I'm sure would be great, but having the FI would solve alot over carbs.

I can see where you could trim some of the numbers for sure. Instead of buying the nose gear, use that same amount and get tail wheel endorsed for example.
    EMU? well, the 912iS requires some sort of screen. It is not included. If your using steam gauges youll have to incorporate some electronic device to see your engine instruments.
    You know, I flew all around Boise without a turbo. What was really nice about Stick and Rudders plane was the constant speed prop. I want one. Maybe later.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

A 100 hp Kitfox is definitely not "underpowered"; if you put on a constant speed prop it is a rocket. In my opinion, the turbo is only needed if you consistently fly at very high altitudes.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I mean this genuinely, but what do you consider very high altitudes?

Takeoffs at roughly 5000'+. This is just my own opinion. I have occasionally taken off at density altitudes of over 8000' with my 100 hp with no problems, but obviously a longer ground run.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Nice spread sheet!

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    Takeoffs at roughly 5000'+. This is just my own opinion. I have occasionally taken off at density altitudes of over 8000' with my 100 hp with no problems, but obviously a longer ground run.
    Ya, it seems my average altitude in Utah, or rather around the Salt Lake Valley are 5k feet. The mountain areas I would love fly would be greater. I'm pretty sure the 100 HP FI motor will do wonders for me for many years.

My field elevation is 7200, and we routinely have DA in the neighborhood of 10k, so I opted for the turbo. If I lived lower, I would have done the 912iS. I flew the 912iS with an airmaster at Stick and Rudder, and it did not struggle in the Backcountry.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

That is good to hear. I'm sure the 912iS would perform very well for my needs.

Wrapping my head around the cost is a fun one LOL. Hopefully I can find a damn good loan and get some wiggle room on cost. I live about 6 hours from the KF factory so I could pick it up and same on shipping costs. Plus, it would make a fun start to a vlog series.

You haven’t priced a kit in awhile have you? It’s almost 40k with normal options and a firewall forward kit.