Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New noob from Utah

Default New noob from Utah

Hello all.

I began watching Trent Palmer's videos and have binged watched almost all of them over the past few days (easy to do when I am temp out of work), and I have completely fallen in love with the LSA idea.

I live in Utah and have zero flight experience so I am trying to find a place to get my sports certificate. It seems that is the fastest way to get a licence to fly LSA like the kitfox.

I would be building the kit but need to figure out where I might be able to leave a plane being built for many months. (I don't have access to a garage to work in for that length of time)

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and I'm sure I will have a TON of question in the future.

Default Re: New noob from Utah

Trent Palmer does have a way with his videos... after watching his videos everyone wants to have fun like he does. And he really does a good job of showing just how fantastic the Kitfox is to fly, and to own.

I've been flying over 40 years and I still love flying my Kitfox. So it's not just newbies that love Kitfoxes. I'm a Private Pilot but love the fact the Kitfox qualifies as an LSA. "A big extra bonus" is how I see that particular feature.

You can keep a Kitfox finished or unfinished in a small space if you are determined enough. Maybe a small rental storage building? If there's a will there's a way...

Ya, I need to figure out storage and then might be able to begin the process. I don't mind building it (at least I don't think I should. From everything I have seen and read, its not complicated, just time consuming).

I'm building in a 1-car garage. It actually has not been too cramped BUT I have been able to store a lot of stuff elsewhere so that the garage is a dedicated production floor.

Sometimes I'm a wet blanket about pointing out that you really need to enjoy the building. 75% of aircraft kits purchased are not completed by the first owner. I don't say this to discourage anyone, only to make sure people realize that if the building isn't something they are passionte about, buying a kit is gambling a lot if money against poor odds. It would be much better to find a used plane or go SLSA. By the time you add up all the nickels and dimes of building, the SLSA isn't THAT much more.

Lastly, if you want a sport pilot certificate to fly a Kitfox, consider an extended vacation at Stick and Rudder Aviation. They do an accelerated program that is probably about the most cost-effective way to do it, and you would be a very capable Kitfox driver when done.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS