Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox Crash

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Kitfox Crash

Guy, Sorry for your troubles. You must be pretty tough to walk away from that one. I hope your spirits are still good after what you've been through.

Other folks, I'm curious if you're using something like Foreflight with synthetic vision, if a cable like this would show up as an obstacle with accompanying alerts.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r_Sed View Post

Other folks, I'm curious if you're using something like Foreflight with synthetic vision, if a cable like this would show up as an obstacle with accompanying alerts.

I don't know for sure, but I do know that there are an awful lot of cables that are definitely not charted, and they can sometimes be very hard to see, even when you know they're there. So, even if there are some in a synthetic vision database, I think you definitely couldn't count on very many (if not most) of them being there.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

As been stated before in the Moab area, multiple cables I know of. Looking on a sectional only one is charted.

Glad your ok!
    Mike Bentley
    Model IV-1200
    Jabiru 2200A #438
    Rotec Aerosport LCH Heads
    Ellison EFS-2 Throttle Body
    Prince Prop (64x34)
    My SPOT Page

When I first saw the pictures my heart sank cause I thought there was no way someone could walk away from that. Glad I was wrong and you are fine. Let us know if you need anything and have a quick recovery.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Glad that you are OK.

Rick

So glad that you are well. Wish we were close enough to be of some assistance.

We often fly the Red River, north of Paris Texas. Just ton's of sandbars to land on. Last night we found someone had put up a set of poles and a volley ball net on one of the sandbars. Can't be too careful.

Regards
    Rodney

Thank you all for your kind words. It really does make a difference even coming from people I don't know. I'm very sad about the aircraft. I'm not ashamed to say that I loved that Kitfox and feel terribly guilty about destroying it.

The plane is being recovered and I will soon go back to Grand Junction to pick up what remains. As to my status - the day of the crash I felt pretty good. They checked me over carefully and were astonished to find the only damage a bunch of small holes and two big ones which were quickly stitched. Yesterday, however; well, you remember that scene in The Avengers when Hulk takes Loki by the foot and beats him senseless? Yep. That's how I feel. There isn't very much on me that doesn't hurt, but it's all temporary and I should be fine in a couple of days.

I'll talk more about the crash in a day or two, after I've written it coherently. It's no secret, since I told all to the NTSB and as far as I can tell did nothing wrong, but the short version is I clipped an unmarked zip line with my vertical, tearing it and the rudder off which left me eventually flying sideways. I'd never learned to do that so my landing was bad.

Thank you again for all your kindness. It really does help. More later.
    Guy Buchanan
    San Diego, CA
    Deceased K-IV 1200 / 912uls / 70" Warp 3cs

gebuchanan@cox.net