Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fit of steel elevator bushings in bronze bearings

Default Re: Fit of steel elevator bushings in bronze bearings

Quote Originally Posted by FoxTrotter View Post
    All right, now this is ridiculous.

I accept ('cause the manual warned me) that I've got to sand the steel bushings so they fit in the brass bearings. But after I got the first one done, I went to put the AN3 bolt through it -- and it wouldn't begin to fit.

I checked all 7 bushings, and the AN3 bolt fit slick as you like in 5 of them, and wouldn't start to enter the other 2. I had to ream them (fortunately, I had a 3/16 reamer) and then work them to get the bolts to fit.

Who cast these bushings -- Manny, Moe and Jack or Larry, Moe and Curly?
    I hear you! We where getting frustrated, but just had to have a change of attitude. Don’t expect anything to fit correctly and be prepared to sand, check, sand, check and so on. Going into each task expecting it won’t fit correctly and you won’t be disappointed. Rudder, rudder pedals and brake pedals, control linkage, all have to be sand down. Rudder pedals are a pain. Just take your time and don’t rush it. It will pay off down the road when your flying it.

One last (I hope!) question on this topic: the manual does not specify any lubrication for the 7 horizontal stabilizer bushings (6 to hold the elevator, 1 connecting horizontal stabilizer to fuselage). Is that correct? No lubricant?

Thanks

Michael

I think many people use LP1 for those. Same stuff that is used on the Grove wheel brake caliper mounts.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I don't know LP1, and what Google finds doesn't seem correct. Can you tell me more or give me a link?
    Michael
    Cherokee 180; Kitfox S7SS in progress

The Kitfox builder's manual has a section in front called "Builder's Tips". This section has a list of recommended lubricants for various places on the Kitfox.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The "Builder's Tips" section in my manual (Rev C, 2/15) has no list of lubricants; it simply says that the lubricant to use will be called out to the right of the (oil can) symbol. Perhaps a newer or older Rev has the list you refer to? Unfortunately, I don't find these pages included in the online up-to-date builder's manual.
    Michael

OK, I answered my earlier question -- the Wheel and Brake Assembly section of the builder's manual specifies LPS1 (not LP1) dry lubricant for the caliper pins, and I'm fine with using that on the elevator bearings unless someone has a better suggestion.
    Meanwhile, though, I'm interested that at least one person has a "Builder's Tips" section that lists recommended lubricants, and I'd love to see a copy of that....
    Michael

It's actually at the end of the final assembly section, and it is, in fact, LPS-1.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Sorry, guess that explains why stuff you googled seemed incorrect.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Great! Thanks, Aviator79, it is indeed on Page 100 of Final Assembly! As I'm 1000 hrs away from that, I'd not yet read it. It would help if it were in Builder's Tips, as jiott had thought.

The "Building Tips and Hints" sticky is very helpful -- I've read all of it -- but there are important tips and hints scattered in other threads (like this one) that are not included in the sticky. As I finish each major module, I'll add a post to the sticky so it becomes even more comprehensive.
    Michael