Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fit of steel elevator bushings in bronze bearings

Default Re: Fit of steel elevator bushings in bronze bearings

The ID of the bronze bearings averages 0.497" and the OD of the steel bushings averages 0.512", so I've got to remove 0.015" of steel on average (approx 1/3 mm or 1/64th inch).

I was pretty sure that I was not making any progress but I kept going and finally one end started to go in to the bushing so I knew I was actually making headway

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    I was pretty sure that I was not making any progress but I kept going and finally one end started to go in to the bushing so I knew I was actually making headway

It takes what feels like forever. I had a few that where way bad, so I started with a couple of them with a file, then 200 grit then 400 grit. Its just dangerous using the file because it takes a lot off at once. It also helps to change sand paper often. Also don't mix up the direction or the bushings or you will be back sanding. Next step is to be careful that when "pressing them in" as you can get them stuck. I had to sand the outside to get a couple to fit or you may stick them half way in.

BTW: in my message of 12:40 below, the measurements are off by a constant amount; the actual measurements are 0.295 and 0.315 or so (zero was off on the digital calipers before).

It seems I recall doing the same as shadowrider. File as it turned on drill press.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

All right, now this is ridiculous.

I accept ('cause the manual warned me) that I've got to sand the steel bushings so they fit in the brass bearings. But after I got the first one done, I went to put the AN3 bolt through it -- and it wouldn't begin to fit.

I checked all 7 bushings, and the AN3 bolt fit slick as you like in 5 of them, and wouldn't start to enter the other 2. I had to ream them (fortunately, I had a 3/16 reamer) and then work them to get the bolts to fit.

Who cast these bushings -- Manny, Moe and Jack or Larry, Moe and Curly?

Probably Lee or Chang. Sorry couldn't resist...

trust me, you won't come across too many more of thse laborious cross roads if any at all. Sometimes you just have to work more to achieve the gratification I suppose.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Clark,
    Can't be Lee or Chang, Kitfox Aircraft only use USA base materials. They tried China base steel and found it to be inconsistent is quality even though it was specked for the use.
    Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Clark,
    Can't be Lee or Chang, Kitfox Aircraft only use USA base materials. They tried China base steel and found it to be inconsistent is quality even though it was specked for the use.
    Ralph

Excellent! Thanks Ralph, I did not know that. Another reason to purchase a Kitfox!