Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitfox 5 and a Uhaul box truck

Default Re: Kitfox 5 and a Uhaul box truck

Hell Yeah, this one could be a flying fish variety if you snatch it up and put floats on it!
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    This is a light hearted comment:
    So.....your saying you don't use that trailer?
    Are you going to put wear and tear on the Kitfox? I bet a Nice Kitfox tire cost more than that trailer tire. Likely a whole lot more.
    Well, the race cars trailer is heavy and outfitted to haul a race car 3-4 hours at a time. I don’t really want to drive a heavy “empty” trailer 1900 miles. If you know enclosed trailers, you won’t go that distance and back and not put a tire on it. When the tire blows you will likely replace the wheel lip mounding and one or two of the skin panels. Sure it could happen pulling my race car... but I won’t be 1900 miles from home. Racing is my business and I just don’t need to put wear and tear on my race trailer. That’s not what it’s for. If the plane had a 912, we’d fly it back. It’s got a little less confidence building setup in it now. Flying it home isn’t a dice I want to roll at this time.

freight brokers, load matching, search terms like that.

there's more than a few companies that find empty space on trucks, or even run their own routes. downside is you won't get it tomorrow, you'll get it when they have the space available, or when the drivers have made all their pickups and start delivering, respectively.

most of the time delivery is accurate within a couple days, and of course you're updated as it goes. could take a few weeks, but very economical

I agree, fly commercial, get a Penske rental from any Home Depot, bring it home. Many have done it, I did that when picking my SuperSTOL kit up from Just Aircraft in North Carolina. Drove it home to Phoenix, AZ.

Of course, you'll need a bigger truck than I got because your plane is assembled, but it can be done. Even if you have to remove one wing and/or rudder to make it fit.

Clark
    Attached Images Attached Images