Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox 5 and a Uhaul box truck

Default Kitfox 5 and a Uhaul box truck

I may be able to purchase a Kitfox 5 but it’s 1400 miles away. It does fly but I don’t want to fly 14 hours in an unknown ship. Anyway. With the wings folded up... has anybody ever brought home a 5-7 in a 26’ Uhaul? Ramps and loading it isn’t the part that concerns me. I just can’t find actual measurements of a 5 folded up. If it’s a wood floor I would just screw lag bolts in like I’ve done for cars in the Uhaul. Of course I had a loading dock... 😂. This would sure keep wear and tear off my race car hauler and truck. Thanks.

Default Re: Kitfox 5 and a Uhaul box truck

I don't think the door on the truck would be wide enough with both wings on. If a 5 is the same width folded as earlier models, it's about 8' wide, maybe 1 inch less. JImChuk

I feared that. I wonder if there’s room for the wings if we take them off and get creative. I’m just trying to get creative on a means of trucking it back. I’m just not going to take my 26’ trailer all that way empty. It would be nice to fly up commercially and haul her home in the box truck.

Do uhauls have strap tracks on the walls? With enough foam you could strap a wing to each wall.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Do uhauls have strap tracks on the walls? With enough foam you could strap a wing to each wall.
    This is what a friend and I did when he purchased a partial completed 7. We hung the wings on the side walls. You may only have to remove one wing to get it to fit.

I think you’d almost need to make the wing a saddle to sit in. Those sides flex a lot. I wouldn’t want that transfer of flex into the wing but that’s a good idea.

I hauled the Mangy home (from NY to Wisconsin) in a 26' UHaul truck.

Yes, I had to remove the tail and one wing (wrapped in blankets flat on the floor) to get it to fit. It was a miserable trip! The plane only weighed 600# or so, and the truck rode terrible. It beat us to death on the marathon 26 hour drive.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I looked at an 800 mile Uhaul one-way recently. I figured I’d rather drive it with what they were asking. For that kind of money why don’t you pay the seller to bring it to you. (Yes I know you can’t legally pay him a profit but you could get creative. Work it into the sales price or something.)

Quote Originally Posted by GuppyWN View Post
    I looked at an 800 mile Uhaul one-way recently. I figured I’d rather drive it with what they were asking. For that kind of money why don’t you pay the seller to bring it to you. (Yes I know you can’t legally pay him a profit but you could get creative. Work it into the sales price or something.)
    I don’t think I trust the power plant to do a 14 hour flight honestly. Why chance it. I’d rather get it in my shop and go over it.

Have you priced Penske? I just rented one and was happy with the deal from them.

Joe G.