Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crop Dusting Setup

Default Crop Dusting Setup

Have some rugged pastures that outside of strapping a spray setup to the horse there is no way to spray for noxious weeds other than by plane. Someone said kitfox used to sell a setup for this type of application or maybe some genius has already tested a pump 12v or air driven water pump like real dusters use and has the appropriate spacing for nozzles and how to hang a boom.

The other thing i started testing was air seeding radishes/turnips/ alfalfa etc... The inherent vortex under wings spread the seed pretty well but wondering if there are other ideas out there or someone who has tried this idea.
    Thanks for comments,
    Jared

Default Re: Crop Dusting Setup

I watched an old 2 part Kitfox sales video the other day on YouTube, and it showed a Kitfox dusting crops. Sorry, that's all know about it.

Better start checking regulations and licensing requirements (FAA & USDA). The hardware will be the simplest part of legal aerial application of pesticides and herbicides.

I know you can't use an experimental for compensation or hire, but I don't think that would apply if you were doing the spraying for yourself. Can't get paid to do your neighbor's though is the way I see it. JImChuk

https://youtu.be/35tdTgmre7g

A very poor quality video, but you get the idea. The luggage pod that I have was originally designed as a liquid tank as per the video. There must be a few of these around.

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I know you can't use an experimental for compensation or hire, but I don't think that would apply if you were doing the spraying for yourself. Can't get paid to do your neighbor's though is the way I see it. JImChuk

The Oregon Department of Agriculture requires ANYONE wanting to apply chemicals by air to hold a Commercial Aerial Applicators License, PERIOD. They are also pushing for a reg that would require said applicator to be listed as an employee of a licensed application business. Anyone can go out and spray their personal property using non-restricted chemicals with a ground rig, although you are supposed to report it. Leave the ground and it gets much more complicated in regards to drift, not to mention the hazards of extreme low-level flight.

Don't get me wrong, I have thought about this for years. I would love to be able to do it. Anymore, unlicensed application by air would probably get you a visit from Homeland Security. They might think you were practicing for an act of domestic terrorism.

Sounds like your trying to use an experimental in an attempt to further a commercial operation. Not allowed.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I really don't know what the FAA has to say about this in regards to one's own property. The complications that I am aware of are direct from the Department of Agriculture at the state and federal (I believe) levels. I deal primarily with the Oregon Department of Agriculture in my life.

Interesting thread, I wonder how many KF are engaged in commercial operations (outside of the USA). Many years ago while on a Caribbean vacation I saw what looked like either a KF or Avid towing advertising banners over a beach. I don't remember which country it was at this point.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    https://youtu.be/35tdTgmre7g

A very poor quality video, but you get the idea. The luggage pod that I have was originally designed as a liquid tank as per the video. There must be a few of these around.
    Great video showing someone thinking outside the box, legal or not. Like it.
    David
    SS7 Builder