Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox 5 Vixen

Question Kitfox 5 Vixen

Can a completed Kitfox 5 Vixen be converted to a tail dragger? If so, is it an expensive conversion? I'm looking for a Kitfox 5 tail dragger that is ready to fly, but all I am seeing are Kitfox Vixens which are tricycle gears. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Default Re: Kitfox 5 Vixen

The answer is no, a Vixen is only a trike. This has been asked before on the forum, if you want to search the forum you will find more about this.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks, that's all I needed to know on the issue, the Vixen is no longer an option for me.

Thanks again.

If you were willing to recover portions etc. I think it has been done before . You need to weld in attach points etc
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks Josh, but I've already decided the Vixen is out for me.

Bart

I would love to do the same conversion on mine as well to get my prop further out of the weeds, rocks, and sand. Not to mention run bigger tires for terrain. All of my inquiries and searches have come up negative, “we don’t make a kit for that” or “why would you want to do that”. Welding and fabricating mounts and braces aren’t a problem for me at all. “What and Where” are the issue for me. I know the tail needs to be reinforced too.
    Brad Smith
    KF Vixen IO-240
    Flying when I have gas money

I have heard this done to.. but only heard. It is simple welding and recovering. I am surprised that no one has tried to put a Superstol tail wheel on yet.

If you are serious I would suggest that you speak to Mike Busenitz at Stol Creek Aviation. As I understand, it can be done. Lots of work, but definitely possible.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbear View Post
    If you are serious I would suggest that you speak to Mike Busenitz at Stol Creek Aviation. As I understand, it can be done. Lots of work, but definitely possible.
    It is a lot of work but worth it! Here are some shots of my series 5 Vixen with the mods done! It has been well proven in some very rough spots and dropped in some short LZ's over the wires.P1000418.jpg 20200705_062811.jpg Steel plates are welded in front and rear of fuselage, rudder bottom is extended for steerable tail wheel, bracing was added behind seats. All needs done before cover. To date I have over 200 hr on this mod with only about 10 hr on paved strips.
    I use this thing like my farm truck. It is stronger than you think!
    Jim D.