Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fuel tanks draining uneven

Default Re: fuel tanks draining uneven

So I bought the original posters plane and the finger strainer was plugged almost solid. I have pictures but every time I hit the upload button, nothing happens. It looked like it flowed that way so the resin was soft at one point. I also found a big chunk of resin(looks like part of fillet) banging around in there. This plane only had 60 hours on it. I just wanted to post this because the original owner had commented that the one wing was draining faster than the other and some people assured him that this was a normal Kitfox thing. Looking back, some people did advise to look at the fuel system. The uneven fuel drain IS normal. However, if you have doubts, pull these finger strainers! Make sure you are checking them every annual even if it's a PITA.

Now, interestingly enough, the resin got past the strainer but then piled up in the threads. So I'm not saying the finger strainer will save you but lets be diligent!
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Good catch and good advise Josh.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I saw the pictures posted on the Facebook site and thought I might be able to copy and re-post them here. So Far so Good, I think. My thought, though, is that all the debris seems to be inside the finger strainer - opposite of where my expectation says they would likely be. Was it tank failure or gas can debris seeping through the screen and accumulating in the strainer or possibly a bit too much thread sealer that was then pushed into the strainer. The reports of failure I recall from the olden days were of obstruction of fuel flow due to stuff all over the outside of the strainer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HighWing; 03-27-2019 at 02:19 PM.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks for posting Lowell,

Looking at the strainer it had seemed to me that resin had "flowed" through the strainer and started to build up against the threads of the 90' elbow that threads into the strainer. It also seam like it stopped against the 90' so maybe it had trouble making the corner? In the header tank their were also things that look liked resin. Not the density of that big chuck I found rolling around but more like something very thin that delaminated.

I'm on the fence whether to replace these tanks or not while the wings are open. I have ethanol free here....
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I'd bore scope the tanks before I was comfortable saying they weren't the problem.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

That's an excellent suggestion, Eddie. I wonder if it's possible to bore scope the finger strainers from the fuel fill opening? There are some very reasonable priced bore scope accessories that can be used with a smart phone. It's a shame that the strainers can't be seen from the fuel fill openings.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime