Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fuel tanks draining uneven

Default fuel tanks draining uneven

I just recently purchased a 40 hour kitfox 6 with a 912 uls. the fuel seem to drain the left tank first then the right, this to me seems odd.What is your opinions on this.

Default Re: fuel tanks draining uneven

Terry,

There have been a lot of posts on this in the past; and, you can likely dredge them up with the search function.

A couple things to start, assuming a person is already flying wings level:

1) Check the fuel cap pitots - they should both be pointed directly ahead - if not, remove the caps from the tanks and bend them to where they are supposed to be. While you are at it - look for a plugged or partially obstructed pitot.

2) Be sure the fuel cap seals are actually sealing - if one is not, this can bleed off the slight positive pressure from the fuel cap pitot.

3) After that, might be time to look at the fuel lines from both tanks to be sure they are routed and clear as designed.

Cheers,
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    A couple things to start, assuming a person is already flying wings level:
    Actually it is better to say if the ball is centered . . .

If you do all of the things mentioned and the problem still persists, don't worry about it too much. If fuel is getting to the header tank then the engine will keep running just fine.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

An easy check of the fuel caps is swap them from side to side. See if the other tank drains faster.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Agree with the first two posts. Uneven fuel flow has been with us since the beginning. With the IV, which is my experience, I always attributed it to the challenge flying with wings level. No real point of reference and always looking outside at the view and the guys I am flying with. I did have one experience on a return flight from Idaho which, I believe, validates Papua Pilot's words. With prevailing winds from the tail, I decided to do a non-stop and check some things I had been thinking about - fuel flow, Low Fuel Indicator etc. I crossed the Sierras at about 10,500 ft. and put it in a descent that would put me close to pattern altitude - 1300 ft.- at my home airport about 50 miles away. This prompted a close attention to fuel levels in both tanks as well as the level I could see in the vent line. At the time, both tanks had stabilized at about the same level and I was able to watch the fuel levels descend in the vent tube on the right tank until it triggered the low fuel indicator. I then reduced descent a bit reconnecting the aft fuel pick-ups to the fuel in the then produced wing tanks and the flashing red low fuel light turned back to green and I arrived home with six gallons in each tank.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Thanks for the replies, I'll be looking into this a bit more shortly .there are a few mods I'm thinking about, definitely need new sight glass tube on fuel tanks and would like the bubble doors and also thinks should switch the header tank to the aluminum tank. Also seem to have an issue with right rudder peddle on left seat seems to stick or difficult to push. But it's been a real hoot flying it so far.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I see your in the neighbourhood.
    Do you have a strip? Or are you flying out of Gull Lake?
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

The rudder pedals require lots of attention on assembly to make sure they are smooth. You make have ti did assemble and make sure ALL the powered coat is removed.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

On a recent trip, to Oshkosh, I stopped at a place to refuel and their tank was dry, so had to go to another airport. I had already been flying for about 1/2 hour with the left sight gauge showing zero and the right gauge showing fuel. After diverting to another airport I arrived there with only 3 gal of fuel, and nothing had been showing on the left sight gauge for about 45 minutes now. Never during this time did the engine miss a beat. So what I am saying is: I agree with Papua Pilot and don't worry about it. Do the best you can with the cap pitots, the plumbing to the header tank, flying level and ball centered, and then don't worry.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Thanks Guys for the replies, Kevin, my plan is to fly out of a grass strip just east of Gull,Lake, but the grass I seeded last fall never came so I'm still working on a strip. I store plane in swift current right now but plan on getting it how sooner or later. I sure like you panel setup.