Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Visit to Kitfox

Default Visit to Kitfox

As part of my 4 great days of flying with Stick and Rudder, I visited Kitfox at Homedale couple of times and had a tour through the factory with Paul Leadabrand. The first trip was on Saturday but John McBean was there so we had a quick chat before going through the factories. Very impressed with how much of the build they’ve retained in-house which I would think helps them control production priorities. From Paul, he says they deliver about 40 kits per year and do about 6 full builds per year, one of which had a Rotax 915 in it, with duel screens and what looks to be a very interesting paint scheme. With that 915, this is gonna be a real performer. I did a second visit to pick up some parts before I left Boise and spent more time talking to John and Debra, two of the friendliest people you’ll ever meet. Even got to meet their two “Australian” Shepherds. Brandon, aka “Mr Kitfox Wing Man”, was also there so we had a chat about general KF stuff and again, fun guy to talk with. He’s now moved on from building wings to bigger things at KF so the new “Wing Man” is Leon who, as it happens, will also be doing some flight instructing with Stick and Rudder in the near future. I got the genuine feeling that the company is just one big extended family which you join when you buy a KF. If you ever visit Boise and want to see how a classy kit manufacturer does it, pay them a visit. But just give them more than a days notice, which couple of people from out of country did when I was there. Even with that short notice, Debra very kindly obliged them with a factory tour. Now that’s Service.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Default Re: Visit to Kitfox

David,
    I’m glad you had time to visit the Kitfox Aircraft facilities in Homedale. Meeting the skilled, dedicated and generous people who handcraft our kits will just reinforce the positive decision to chose Kitfox over all the others on the market today. A factory visit will instanly cement the concept of “the Kitfox community” in your mind. These are tangible benefits that you do not have to check off and pay for on the kit order form. They are gratis with your choice of Kitfox over all others. This forum website was conceived under that concept.

Glad also you enjoyed your training flights with Paul Leadabrand at Stick & Rudder Aviation.
    Paul’s knowledge of this aircraft is so valuable and his method of instruction has been lauded by every student of his since the first.

Thanks David for sharing your visit and for being part of the family.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I'm planning to make a visit to the factory myself in the very near future. My wife and I are selling our house in Mountain Home, Idaho and looking at houses in the Boise, Nampa, Caldwell area. As soon as we get settled, we will be in the market for a used Kitfox, and some training from Paul. I've had my PPL since 92, but haven't flown in about 15 years. I am so looking forward to making this happen.

Welcome back to aviation Bart. Hope your move is smooth and your search for a
    Kitfox is successful. You’ll enjoy every minute you spend training with Paul.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thumbs up Re: Visit to Kitfox

Well, we just put an offer on a house in Caldwell, and the offer was accepted. So far so good. We're hoping everything else goes just as smooth.

I thought I had found a Kitfox 5, so I emailed the guy for more info on the airplane. Rather than email back and forth, he wanted me to call him. Before I got a chance to call, the ad WITH his phone number disappeared. So, I'm on the search again.

Do you know if a completed Kitfox 5 Vixen tricycle gear can be converted ot tail wheel, and if so, for about what cost?

Thanks,
    Bart

Bart, the Vixen is not reinforced in the areas you would need to move the main gear to and the tail was not designed for tailwheel landing loads. Sounds like a major project. Has it been done? I’ve never see one converted. They also are kind of rare when compared to the 90 plus percentage of all Kitfox manufactured that are tail dragger capable. I would never buy a Vixen that was “converted”.

Patience, the right one will come your way. Do your homework so when that perfect one pops up, you are first knowledgeable on that model and secondly, ready to write a check if it is what you want. Models 5 through 7SS are hot right now and a nice model 4 will go quickly too especially with a four-stroke Rotax.
    Good luck.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks for the education. I've seen tons of Kitfox 4 and below for sale, but I'm kinda set on a 5. So, I'll just keep looking.

Thanks again.