Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My flying at Stick and Rudder

Default My flying at Stick and Rudder

I’ve just finished day 3 of 4 days at Stick and Rudder at Greenleaf Air Ranch in Idaho. I’ve been flying with Paul Leaderbrand in order to get some experience in a SS7 before I start the test flying of my build, which I hope will be some time later this year. The concentrated flying with someone who I think is a Jedi in Kitfox flight training and in back country flying has been worth every second and dollar spent so far. He knows the aircraft like the back of his hand and has given me fantastic insight into the handling characteristics of what is really, quite a high performing airplane for this class of airplane. I came to Paul with around 30 hours of tailwheel experience, but he’s given me more insight into the “why’s” of tailwheel flying than I was aware of. We spent couple days in the back country of Idaho flying into some great places, some with interesting and challenging circuit procedures. Places like Sulphur Creek, Johnston’s Creek and Big Creek were really fun to fly in to. I’ve been really impressed with the capabilities of the airplane and even after 3 days, I’m feeling way better equipped to throttle up on day one of my own project, even though I’ve had the odd “brain fade” on couple of landings. Bottom line for me, as a SS7 builder, this training is the best insurance I can have for my project. Totally recommend S&R for KF specific training to anyone either without a t/w endorsement of even limited t/w time on other types.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Default Re: My flying at Stick and Rudder

Good for you David for making this wise decision. I wish auto, home, life and health insurance was as much fun to purchase as Stick & Rudder training insurance is. Great endorsement. Enjoy your remaining flight time with Paul. Paul and his operation are top shelf. Pretty nice aircraft too.

Just a thought. Even with all the training with Paul, you will be amazed the first time you fly your Kitfox solo. Everything happens even faster if you can imagine especially in regards to take off performance. Be ready.
    These are high performance aircraft I quite agree.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Great report, thanks for posting. Looks like a blast!

Clark

Definitely money well spent, and what a showroom the Idaho backcountry is for the Kitfox!
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks, this keeps the excitement of building high.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post

Just a thought. Even with all the training with Paul, you will be amazed the first time you fly your Kitfox solo. Everything happens even faster if you can imagine especially in regards to take off performance. Be ready.
    These are high performance aircraft I quite agree.
    Steve, I can just imagine how this airplane will perform with one on board. We had smallish headwinds today but the takeoff and climb performance was outstanding. When I do my first flight, I know that I won’t be afraid of it - slightly nervous, undoubtedly - but I’ll respect it’s capability. That’s why I did the training.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Quote Originally Posted by aviator79 View Post
    Definitely money well spent, and what a showroom the Idaho backcountry is for the Kitfox!
    The Idaho backcountry is magnificent for flying. Learning how to “shop” a remote airstrip and then fly the pattern and land is a fantastic feeling.
    David
    SS7 Builder

I was surprised at all the new aspects of piloting that are involved with flying to back country airstrips. Certainly recommend the training if you are ever taking your airplane to these types of places. Paul is really laid back so the learning is enjoyable.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I couldn't agree more with the accolades for Paul's (and all of S & R) instruction. There are probably more ways to fly a Kitfox than one can imagine, but he puts forward a fine set of principles, and he also adjusts his training technique to the attitude and personality of the pilot - making the whole experience exceptional. Wouldn't it have been nice if your first instructor had been like Paul!

Tom Livermore
    SS7

I flew with Paul 2 years ago next month and fully agree with everything you stated. Worth every penny spent!!!
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!