Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Help with Kitfox II wings removal

Default Help with Kitfox II wings removal

Hello everyone,

First thanks for granting us access to the forum and the Kitfox community.

We recently purchased a kitfox II and need some assistance on how to remove the wings for transport in an enclosed trailer. I am not sure if there is a bracket to hold the wings so we thought removing them will be safer.

Thanks,

Default Re: Help with Kitfox II wings removal

Pretty simple to remove the wings. Flaperon control rod has a 3/16" bolt holding it in place, front spar has a 5/16" pin, back spar a 5/16" bolt, and the lift strut bottom attachment point has a 3/8" bolt if my memory is correct. Of course you will want to remove the turtle deck first, and then unhook any wires, fuel lines and pitot tube going into the wings before you start removing bolts. Also drain any fuel in the tanks as well. How far do you have to go? JImChuk

PS easy to make wing brackets out of electrical conduit

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    How far do you have to go? JImChuk

PS easy to make wing brackets out of electrical conduit
    Will be travelling from Kansas to Iowa (about 5 hours).
    Is there any drawing on how to make the brackets?

Thanks for taking the time,
    Said

I don't know of any drawings for the brackets. If I was doing it, I would use 1/2" conduit for the brackets that hold the wing to the tail of the plane, and 3/4" conduit to attach the front spar to the lift strut attachment point. Here are some pics of my Kitfox 1. If you are going to trailer the plane with the wings folded, support the back of the plane rather than just letting it ride on the tail wheel. Also, tie the flaperons together by the tail just incase a wing bracket was to come loose. It has happened. :-( You should also make some gust locks to keep the tailfeathers from flopping the wind, especially if you tow the plane backwards. 1/4 boards with foam rubber on the inside works good. Two on the elevator and one on the rudder. Maybe tape a towel or foam rubber to the flaperons so they don't rub on the verticle stabilizer or rudder as well. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I don't know of any drawings for the brackets. If I was doing it, I would use 1/2" conduit for the brackets that hold the wing to the tail of the plane, and 3/4" conduit to attach the front spar to the lift strut attachment point. Here are some pics of my Kitfox 1. If you are going to trailer the plane with the wings folded, support the back of the plane rather than just letting it ride on the tail wheel. Also, tie the flaperons together by the tail just incase a wing bracket was to come loose. It has happened. :-( You should also make some gust locks to keep the tailfeathers from flopping the wind, especially if you tow the plane backwards. 1/4 boards with foam rubber on the inside works good. Two on the elevator and one on the rudder. Maybe tape a towel or foam rubber to the flaperons so they don't rub on the verticle stabilizer or rudder as well. JImChuk
    Thank you. The pictures help visualize.

This is how I supported the tail on a Kitfox 4 when I hauled it 1500 miles. The tailwheel was in the way, that's why I removed it. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images