Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency Off Field Landing

Default Re: Emergency Off Field Landing

Excellent job !!! Welcome to the dead stick society ! ( I had one in a North American T-28C) Out of curiosity was the oil coming from the oil pump fitting on the lower left side of the engine ?(as you look at it from the front) If so it is likely that the fitting cracked as was the case of our sample engine we worked on in Lockwoods Rotax maintenance course. This has happened before and is usually caused by using a brass "t" fitting with one end used to pick up oil for the pressure gauge and the other oil from the cooler outlet. The fitting extends too far out and the result is a crack or total breakage (as was the case with our class engine) due to the "pendulum" effect and vibration on the fitting. I examined my recently purchased Kitfox for this fitting and sure enough I had the same type that broke. I contacted Murle Williams and purchased the proper AN fittings from him and have since eliminated that brass fitting. If this is the cause and you lost your oil then you have a total engine/gearbox rebuild as the engine oil is the lifeblood of your gearbox also.
    I too would be very curious as to the cause of the engine failure. Call Dean at the tech dept at Lockwood. He was our instructor and he knows this engine well. (as well as past failures)
    Keep us posted !
    Dick Maddux
    Fox 4
    912UL
    Milton,Fl

almost sounds like the output shaft broke between the final drive gear and the housing bearing ,..putting a piece of the output shaft between the gears locking up the motor,..this would explain the prop spinning free and the motor still locked up,.. anxiously waiting for reply on investigation

Chase

Talking Re: Emergency Off Field Landing

David
    I am glad my fellow Ag, brought it down in one
    piece! Arn't dead stIck landings fun, done it once myself.
    I am flying up to the factory to look at a Super Sport kit!

Gig'em
    Paul Z '73

Thanks Paul. If you pull the trigger on a Kitfox you'll not regret it. Fun ahead. Can't wait to get back to flying.Hopefully I can start working on the engine this week pulling the gear box. Looking forward to flying the RV-9A, but the Kitfox isn't going anywhere. Hope to have it back in the air in the future.I'm a Commercial General Contractor and until the economy gets back in full swing, can't justify much $$ on my expensive hobby.

By the way I live in Georgia Bulldog country. Getting a lot of razing from Bulldog fans, including my son. Hope the Aggies do well.

David
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)