Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rudder extension?

Default Rudder extension?

C1EF30FF-E4BF-4D02-A657-23B1E7EF2EF5.jpg
    Do you guys think this is an acceptable way to extend my rudder? The top and bottom tubes were cut. Then I turned up a solid piece that fit inside the tube. (7/8 long overall)They also had an 1/8 long center diameter that was about the same outside diameter of the tube for something to stop on. I assembled the pieces on on either end of my extension then welded around it. I then welded in the 3 other tubes(not spliced). I plan on doing the elevator the same way. I figured this would be the best way to maintain the original geometry while keeping the tubes lined up and avoid trying to bend a long piece of tubing. I did grind the weld a little so it won’t show very much through the fabric but I feel like there is still significant strength in the weld. Faa 43.13 says to repair a tube use an O.D. sleeve.
    Last edited by Bluebird19kf; 06-25-2018 at 07:21 PM.

Default Re: Rudder extension?

How much did you add on to the top of the rudder ?? I add 10" on to the top of mine what different it made.

None to top, just added 4 inches to rear.

Ok I got it not the same as what I did . But with 3/8 " in the tube how far back did you v notch the tube to weld in and what size is the tube you welding on ??