Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a Little Australian Outback Adventure

Default a Little Australian Outback Adventure

Well, haven't posted much lately so thought a little report on our recent trip might be of interest. We planned our annual central OZ trip but got delayed at Tiboorburra, NSW (look it up on Google earth) due to an engine issue (see report under 'engines'). We didnt plan on our extended stop at Tiboorburra but after refuelling and on take off, we had the engine issue that resulted in a forced 5 day stay.

Now for those of you who know Tiboorburra, a few hours would normally be more than enough, if you know what I mean. But like many 'forced' extended stays, they often turn out to be an unexpected delight. And Tiboorburra was no exception. For starters, the airstrip is maintained beautifully by the locals - mostly for the flying Doctor service that is so essential in these parts. One runnway is sealed and the other graded and rolled beautifully. And it is totally roo, emu, goat, donkey, camel proof fenced, thus negating one of the major challenges of landing at outback airstrips in Australia!

The locals were great. The policeman ran us around and lent us his quad bike, the pub picked up us accommodated us, the local store and transport mob arranged the parts we needed to be hand picked from the mail in Broken Hill and sent up with a local heading home. Each night we met up with travellers in the pub and ended up having great evenings telling stories over a few beers. We even ran into some old friends who were travelling though! We walked out of town each day and just enjoyed the wonderful remoteness, even if it is so dry that the roos are dying. Enough of the words, I'll let a selection of photos tell the rest of the story but the moral of the story is to open ourselves up to unexpected challenges flying throws up - it could turn into a wonderful, unexpected adventure!
    cheers

ross
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Default Re: a Little Australian Outback Adventure

Glad to hear your extended vacation was so positive. Beautiful place. Sounds like great local folks helped make it an enjoyable experience.
    Good idea to always carry a spare injector but sounds like not having a spare this trip didn’t hurt too much.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

So glad it didn't turn into a "Wolf Creek" sequel Ross !!. It sounds like you had the hole town pulling for you - fantastic and doesn't surprise me. From my travels in the outback, the people are great and there are some real characters. Your experience just reinforces that. I think I'll make a point of visiting Tibooburra and let them know you put them on the route for any self respecting Australian Kitfox owner !! Watcha think Ben, Paul SS ??

Great photos as usual.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Great pictures Ross!
    Glad it all worked out OK.

One has got to love the remote townsfolk, the world over!

Sad to see it's drought again...

Keep well.
    Reid

Hi Dave and Ben,

Well, next June I expect you both to be coming along for a two week camping trip out there and across the Simpson!!!

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.

Quote Originally Posted by rosslr View Post
    Hi Dave and Ben,

Well, next June I expect you both to be coming along for a two week camping trip out there and across the Simpson!!!

r
    I’d be in that ...
    David
    SS7 Builder

I think I'll make a point of visiting Tibooburra and let them know you put them on the route for any self respecting Australian Kitfox owner !! Watcha think Ben, Paul SS ??
    I'd love to go on an adventure like that but it might have to be in an RV4 because Ross stole the KF IV that I was interested in and whipped it away from WA to the other side

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    I'd love to go on an adventure like that but it might have to be in an RV4 because Ross stole the KF IV that I was interested in and whipped it away from WA to the other side
    Yeah, you'll never forgive me for that , eh Paul!?

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ

Your photos are inspiring Ross!
    Can’t wait to see some of these outback places and the locals.
    My building has been on pause for 7 weeks as we have been traveling Europe and visiting family in Ireland. It’s been enjoyable but doesn’t get the Kitfox built!
    I’ll be back into it in 2 weeks time.
    Regards Ben

Victoria Australia
    S7 Kitfox 233

Yeah, you'll never forgive me for that , eh Paul!?
    It certainly was/is a nice machine. I fully intended to go and see it when I returned home from work but someone (???) had got there first and the cupboard was bare But you did have a great trip eastbound in it

This will all be solved when Dave/Ben finishes his/their build for me