Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fabric bonding repair

Default Fabric bonding repair

Ok, so a little disheartening at this stage in the game.

Had a friend sit in my plane and the fiberglass seat pan flexed, fell below the doorframe and shot out with enough force that it broke the poly tack bond to the door frame and now I have a fabric wrinkle. I’m wondering what the best way to fix this is. I’m thinking of getting some low viscosity crazy glue and injecting it under neath the fabric. Because it’s at the the door frame I’m thinking I will get some SS door frame covers and put them on with rivets as a secondary mechanical fastening method.

What do you guys think?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Default Re: Fabric bonding repair

I’m thinking a 5 min epoxy. Used it to hold some seat upholstery where contact cement had failed.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    Ok, so a little disheartening at this stage in the game.

Had a friend sit in my plane and the fiberglass seat pan flexed, fell below the doorframe and shot out with enough force that it broke the poly tack bond to the door frame and now I have a fabric wrinkle. I’m wondering what the best way to fix this is. I’m thinking of getting some low viscosity crazy glue and injecting it under neath the fabric. Because it’s at the the door frame I’m thinking I will get some SS door frame covers and put them on with rivets as a secondary mechanical fastening method.

What do you guys think?
    Do you have a picture? I'm not quite sure I follow how it happened, but the result is the fabric popped off the door frame. If it were me, I'd try using Poly Tak, thinned with MEK to an appropriate consistency instead of krazy glue. krazy glue is a cyanoacrylate that has low strength in shear, which, if I understand, is the failure mode that occurred. PolyTak, on the other hand, is very strong in shear. I'm not familiar with the covering system you used, but one concern might be that there is nowhere for the solvents to evaporate to if you inject adhesive under the existing coatings. They may blister.

The right answer is probably to remove that section of fabric and replace it. Since the fabric is already shrunk, you probably won't get the correct tension by just re-adhering the fabric.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

It’s hard to see but the jist is the fabric cameboff the door frame. If I push the fabric back down I can almost get rid of all the wrinkles.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Quote Originally Posted by Esser View Post
    It’s hard to see but the jist is the fabric cameboff the door frame. If I push the fabric back down I can almost get rid of all the wrinkles.
    I'm certainly no expert, but if you can clamp it so the wrinkles come out, you might try to re-adhere that by injecting some thinned poly tak under the fabric. If it doesn't work, I think you're looking at cutting the fabric off under the door and replacing it. Not fun work, but pretty much a weekend project, with a lot of tedious masking and paint gun cleaning.

That's really a bummer, especially this close to seeing her fly. You'll get it fixed though.

edit: I was misinterpreting where the damage is. Still possible to repair I think though.
    Last edited by aviator79; 06-25-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Where did the seat pan contact the fabric to pull it off like that?
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Did the bond break loose where it jogs through the door jamb?

If so you might be able to try injecting some thinned PolyTak / MEK through the fabric into the corner using a syringe and needle. While it is still wet clamp a piece of wood or angle iron into the door jamb corner. This should pull the fabric tight. Leave it to dry overnight and see how it turns out.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

It seems, from what I understand, Phil is onto the correct option. It is what I would try. I have learned that whenever someone is sitting in the pan, I always stick the screws in and screw them down. I got my pan to slip down once and I had a difficult time dislodging it from under the door frame.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    Did the bond break loose where it jogs through the door jamb?

If so you might be able to try injecting some thinned PolyTak / MEK through the fabric into the corner using a syringe and needle. While it is still wet clamp a piece of wood or angle iron into the door jamb corner. This should pull the fabric tight. Leave it to dry overnight and see how it turns out.
    Phil, this is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Need to find a decent gauge syringe and needle. I'm thinking I will order the SS door from guards as well to go over the door frame and rivet it in place so that if the repair isn't as strong as the rest, it has a permanent mechanical means to fasten it over the top. I'm also hoping the fabric has a little more shrink left in it if I can't get the wrinkles perfectly out.

Thanks for all your input guys, I appreciate it.

Looks like with all the paper work, inspections, and breaking things, I won't be making it to Osh Kosh in FOXD.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I'm with Phil. Use clamping of the angle iron/wood to apply tension to the fabric when you pull it down into the joggle. Just make sure you don't stick the fabric to the iron/wood with the polytak.
    David
    SS7 Builder