Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: wider shoulder space

Default wider shoulder space

Hello everyone,

Has anybody or the factory ever made a bubble door frame with the bubble side windows to get another 3-4 inches in shoulder width? Just a broad question. thanks Billy

Default Re: wider shoulder space

Bubble doors have been an option for several Kitfox models for years.
    Look through Kitfox Aircraft’s parts section on their website.

The bubble doors are a great option for more shoulder room.

There alao has been a wide body mod. for the model 4 for decades that use the stock door frames for more shoulder room.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Wouldn't the wide body mod give more room at the back of the shoulders? Unless the window bubbles out at a very sharp angle at the back?? I went 3" wider on my Avid MK IV when I rebuilt it (42 1/2 overall), and the Kitfox 4 I'm rebuilding is 4" wider (43 1/2" overall). I'm about 215 and 5' 9", and had a guy in my Avid that was 5' 8" and 245 and we fit real well. JImChuk

PS if you do the wide body mod, you can still do the bubble doors. I will never cover another Avid or Kitfox without widening it first.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I put the Kitfox (LP) bubble doors on my Model 4 -1200. I also removed the center braces from the doors, which give even more elbow room while also improving the view. I highly recommend them.

I also like the fuselage widening as shown in the post just before this one. Bubble doors used with widening of fuselage would really give a lot of extra room.

But honestly, I have never felt cramped for width with just my bubble doors installed. But you should know the biggest increase for room with the bubbles is at the elbow area. You also gain a couple inches on each side at the shoulder, but it's something like 3 to 4 inches gained on each side at your elbow area. And if you think about it, the door needs to be widest at elbows as that is the widest part of your body when sitting in the seat and operating conttols. Just sit in a chair with your arms relaxed and you will see what I mean.

Everyone that comments after a ride in my Model 4 says "From the outside it looks tight. But once sitting inside it's bigger than it looks".

Do you get these wider doors for the IV from kitfox? I can't seem to find a source online.

I would suggest calling Kitfox and asking as I know they used to sell them. They probably just aren't showing them in their catalog.

You could probably go right to LP for them, but I think Kitfox price is the same. I always like to let John and Debra make a buck or two if I can, as not only are they great people, but we need the Kitfox factory around for generations to come