Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best remote magnetometer mounting location

Default Best remote magnetometer mounting location

Pretty difficult to get away from ferrous materials in a Kitfox frame save mounting in the wing.

Has anyone been successful mounting in the fuselage anywhere? Any photos or good descriptions of good proven working installation locations?

Default Re: Best remote magnetometer mounting location

Mine is in the left wing tip, are you avoiding the wing for some reason?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Ditto. Mines positioned second bay in from the tip.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Same as David’s but in the right wing.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsal View Post
    Its a retro-fit to a flying vfr aircraft with no nav lights, and non-removable wing tips, so was hoping to avoid wing mounting if nothing else pure lazieness and pragmatism for simple solution.

I wouldn't shy away from pulling some wires through the wing and cutting an access panel, however after all it is a day vfr aircraft with 2 GPS + iPad and likely 1-2 smart phones on board, it is a requirement and important to have a reasonably accurate compass on board. I just can't think where I would be relying on a compass in this particular aircraft rather than looking out the window if the satellites all fall from the sky

Does anyone have any experience with non wing mounting locations in any rag and tube aircraft?

Manual says 24inches distance away from metal that can't happen in a Kitfox fuselage has anyone tried it anyway?

Who manufactures the magnetometer you're intending to use? The reason I say this is because my research has shown that Dynon's unit seems quite resistant to stray magnetic wigglies, while Garmin and MGL are more sensitive. A friend of mine has his Dynon magnetometer behind the baggage bay of his Eurofox, which would be similar to the Kitfox. He also degaussed the aircraft before fitting it (remember to remove other compasses etc before doing this).

I will be installing the MGL SP6 in my Eurfox and, thus far, have come to the conclusion that the only location is in the wingtip. Unfortunately the Eurofox does not have removable fairings but the agent in the UK has recently cut an access panel in the wingtip, installed the magnetometer (in this case the Garmin unit) and refitted the cutout using rivnuts.

The hole and panel is really quite small compared to how it looks in the photos below and is a very neat job
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not flying yet, but I have mounted my Dynon ADHRS (which contains the magnetometer) just aft of the baggage sack as I had seen on a factory build. Scanning the fuselage with a compass had also appeared to show this area as magnetically quiet and Debra McB had sent a photo or two to me as well.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I also mounted my Dynon ADHRS behind the baggage sack as recommended by the factory. Been working fine for 600 hours now. The top two photos are my installation; the bottom two are a factory SLSA installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Everything on that mounting bar should be aluminum or brass, including screws, etc.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I put the Dynon magnetometer just outboard of the right fuel tank . The dynon install manual specs the magnetometer to be within six feet of centerline of the fuse. I understand that a lot of other locations are working well just sayin.