Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: performance numbers

Default performance numbers

Now that I can get to the numbers in the Kitfox manual I have a question with the cruise speeds. In the airspeed limits section of the manual it states a VNo of 108 mph and VNe of 140 mph. Then you go to the performance section and the VNo is at 115 mph for the speedster. Which one is right?

Default Re: performance numbers

Vno- def, maximum structural cruising speed (the maximum speed to be used in turbulent conditions) or can refer to the velocity of normal operation. VNO is specified as the high end of a green arc on many airspeed indicators.

this is all I could find on it.
    Skystar, 7/19/94 Speedster model 4

Vne 140 mph
    Vfe 70 mph
    Vno 108 mph

115 mph just sounds high for VNO.

Maybe John can confirm these.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

My IV-1050 has a VNE of 125 mph, VNO of 108 mph, VFO of 70 mph.

My IV-1200 has a VNE of 140 mph, VNO of 115 mph, VFO of 80 mph.

(Both are long wing planes, not the clipped wing speedsters.)

I was told one of the main reasons for this is the fact that the 1200s have two anti-flutter weights per flapperon, where the 1050 has only one on each side.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Does this mean the VNO and VNE can be increased on any Kitfox wing that only has one anti-flutter weight just by adding a second anti-flutter weight?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve, as we are learning the V-speeds can be model specific.
    Remember that the Model 4 has a totally different wing, flapperon and even control mixer than the earlier models. Not sure I'd want to assume that one applies to the other. If you've ever experienced flutter during flight and survived it, you will have great respect for tested airspeed limits.
    Something to think about as we celebrate 25 years of Kitfox flying , our "fleet" is aging now and wear on critical parts like control mixer parts , especially the 1-3 Models that used the "blocks and bolts" should be monitored and addressed if excess play is found. Kitfox has a stellar safety record and it'll be up to all of us to keep that intact.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Makes sense. Another angle of the same issue: Would adding a second anti-flutter weight to a single weight wing (model 1-3) make that wing a more stable and safer wing, or is the single anti-flutter weight wing what it is and can not be improved without a change in design?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Steve, someone else is going to have to cover that question. It's a little above my pay grade.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by SkySteve View Post
    ... Would adding a second anti-flutter weight to a single weight wing (model 1-3) make that wing a more stable and safer wing ...
    The first thing that comes to mind is not, of course. The single balance weight in older models has the necessary mass to balance the whole flaperon.

Spreading the mass into two weights to reduce the torque along the system means that the existing weight should be replaced by a smaller one, and the optimal size of each will depend on their location.

Any volunteer to do some flutter testing from scratch?

Roberto Waltman (*not* an aeronautical engineer)

I saw a few pictures of KF 4s and I noticed that some have two mass balance weights on the flaperons. I found this post and there is talk about a KF 4 having two per side also. The original flaperons that I have only have one on each side. I was wondering if this is something I need to address? I bought new flaperons and they are still in the box so if I need to add or change something on them, now is the time.

The two flapperon weights have the same mass of one flapperon weight. When the Speedster came out they went to the two weight system. The reason for this was that when doing high G maneuvers the flapperons would flex and bind until the G load was lessened. So to fix this they basically cut the flapperon in the center leaving the spar untouched and put a tab on the trailing edge at the cut. So each half of the flapperon got it own counterweight. This would allow the flapperon to flex more without binding. So unless you are Jimmy Franklin the single counter weights are fine. Also Speedsters had a 140 mph VNE because they came with an .090 windshield compared to the stock .060.
    Ty
    Kitfox IV-1200