Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonding ribs, horizontal stab

Default Re: Bonding ribs, horizontal stab

I have only been to the antique tractor section of Harbor Freight. I didn’t even know they had an aircraft section! More clamps are on the list now. I really like the idea of bonding the stiffeners first. I am in the process of doing ribs first than adding stiffeners for the stab. The elevator will be done differently.

On the stiffener subject; are you applying adhesive to both sides, or just one? And do you set up the stiffeners to contact the tubing or does it end just prior to the tubing so that you are bonding on,y the rib to the tubing?
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 06-10-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Jrevens: how do you get such a pretty finish on the adhesive?

I don’t know... I’m just kind of slow and careful I think. I did spend a lot of unnecessary time carefully cleaning up the initial “mess” as well as masking sometimes. A gloved finger dipped in alcohol (or even water) is helpful to do a little smoothing. If you wait until the epoxy is starting to set-up and get a little stiff, the finger wipe can be very effective for helping to produce a nice looking fillet. I think Brandon at the factory is the guy to ask this question of. He makes some of the nicest looking glue joints that I’ve seen.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Get the ratcheting gun with dubble barel syringes with mixing tips if your looking for great filets. If I remember from my visit in April, Brandon has an air driven applicator gun with mixing tips.
    Eddie
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    By all means, use stiffeners on all ribs not otherwise stiffened by a steel structural member. The kit typically does not include enough stiffener material so you will be tempted to skip it on some ribs, but go buy some 1/8" ply from the local hobby shop and cut some more. I skipped some on my elevator and was sorry I did. The fabric shrink process pulled the outer steel tubing in just enough so that some of my unstiffened ribs took on an "S" curve. Not a show stopper, but not good in my book.
    I stiffened all of the HS ribs, but since I didn't have enough material, I did not do the elevator ribs, as they were all nice and straight. Tightening the fabric was enough compression on the steel structure that most of them bowed a little. Fortunately, the elevator ribs follow a linear contour from LE to TE, and you actually can't tell in the finished product, but I wish I would have stiffened them.

Get the ratcheting gun with dubble barel syringes with mixing tips if your looking for great filets. If I remember from my visit in April, Brandon has an air driven applicator gun with mixing tips.
    You can get this adhesive and a much cheaper non-branded gun from McMaster Carr. I just used mine for the first time, and now that I've seen the light, I would have used this from the beginning despite the cost. You'll need to order a half ton of applicator tips, but you will waste very little adhesive. My glue work does not look as good as John's, but it would have if I'd used this gun from the beginning. Also really nice not to have to mix. Just put the tip on and go!
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I used the glue gun on some later items in my build. I ran out of the expensive mixing tips, but continued to use the gun without the tips. It squirted out a nice accurate 50-50 ratio onto a piece of cardboard that I then mixed by hand. Not as handy as with the tips, but still much better than the mess of using the big cans.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Just as a point of reference, the 1.69 oz cartridges are $20/each, making the epoxy about 6 times more expensive in this form than in the 2.5 lb cans. The tips are $1.26/ea and are obviously not re-usable. That's a little bit more than what I spend on veterinary syringes to use as dispensers. Some of the cost is recovered in the lack of waste, but it's still going to be way more expensive to use this stuff, probably by several hundred dollars if you used the gun exclusively. Despite this, if I had it to do over again, I'd make use of this system a lot more and a lot earlier.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

My first Hysol use was on the horizontal stab, and man did it seem messy. Then I developed my technique a bit and it became much nicer to use.
    Back when I was mixing/using larger quantities, I would measure out the components with plastic spoons or a scale depending upon quantity needed, and mix in a plastic cup. I then loaded into an appropriate size syringe (local farm and ranch store has them in several sizes). Alcohol on my finger tip after partial setup, as John mentioned, would produce nice fillets.
    Now that I usually only need small amounts, I bought the cartridges with no tips and I do as Jim mentioned and just squirt out some on a plastic lid, mix and apply.
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

On my model IV, The only place that has the wooden ribs is in the Hor stab. I decided I'm not going to put wooden ribs in the rest of the surfaces in the tail, but I do need to repair on of the ribs in the hor Stab. Although from the look of the ribs in the Hor Stab, they do not look like factory ribs supplied by kitfox, they look homemade and made out of what's looks to me like salvaged wood from some cheap furniture. should I order the rib kit from kitfox and replace these?

The applicator syringe gun is awesome but as mentioned above will cost 4x as much as the cans.
    When applying thickened epoxy I usually just grab a box of freezer ziplock bags, scoop it in from the mixing surface and cut the corner off.
    Use it like a piping bag. Then use alcohol on a finger to clean up the corner fillets.
    🇨🇦CANADA
    Flying | SS7 | G3X | Edge 912