Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 18 of 85 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

Okay we got the tailwheels installed and decided to pull them outside and get a picture. I have noticed this is kind of a ritual for most builders when you get to this point, thought we would not break the tradition. We noticed the fabric pulled against gear mount on the front kitfox in this picture. We actually went back and heated it to let it release and not pull on it.

Last edited by Shadowrider; 02-03-2019 at 09:26 PM.

It was a glorious day! Final peice of covering is completed. Glad I am done cutting and glueing fabric. So far we have liked oratex, but we have never done any other covering to compare. Just glad we don't have to paint the covering now. End caps and tips are tricky but once we developed a system it went pretty good. Tail was my best work so far! I know its common for some to start with rudder and elevator first because they are the smallest, but I would highly recommend doing them last. Seems like you need all your skills you will develope to make those look the best. Now we just need to run finishing tape, and its time to start installing the stab/elevator/rudder.

Looks awesome. such a different plane with that gear and tires. You may be onto something with doing the tail last. Nothing on the wings or fuselage was as challenging as the tail.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I don't like the look of that snow but I do love the look of your machines

You seem to have made incredible progress and the workmanship looks great. It'll be good seeing those two Foxes flying together.

Wow Both planes look really great. Nice finish work. Good Idea going through the gear mount with the break tubing. Watching your build is great entertainment.

Scott
    Scott Noble
    Kitfox SS7

Beautiful! I totally agree about not doing the tail feathers first. The tires look particularly large before the rest of the plane is above them.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Great pic's!! The bush planes look very capable with the snow covered mountains in the background.
    If that doesn't fire every Kitfox driver up, nothing will.
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I can't seem to spot the retractable ladders to get up into the cockpit. Those tires are huge vs. my stock 6 inchers!
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

I am using Oratex as well and totally agree with doing the tail last. I did as suggested and started with the tail and it turned out ok but now know it would have been better to have done everything in reverse.

Brett
    mykitlog.com/bholland

Thanks guys! Another trick we have found doing finishing tapes is have a popsicle stick ready. It’s great for holding off the tape where needed or to help work out small wrinkles.