Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 15 of 85 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual STI build log

Default Re: Dual STI build log

That is exactly how I did it, Envelope left then right. There are probably no advantages to doing it any one particular way. It would be just as well using four individual pieces. End Caps? not certain what you are speaking of. Don't use foam to finish off the tips, use balsa or anything else that will endure the heat you will need to wrap the fabric around the tight radius.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Yeah I finished with balsa. It’s just seams the trouble area is the end cap radius as it goes from straight to area of the back bar to the curved area on side, spot where it all bunches. Only way I see to do it is make a cutout to keep wrinkles from forming?

Covering the end caps of the elevator and stab is probably one of the more difficult things to do if you are trying for a really neat job. I can't speak for Oratex, but with Polyfiber you will have to make some small triangular cutouts, darts, and just keep heat forming the fabric around. Its amazing how well it conforms after working it a while. Remember, a finish tape will cover up your first efforts with the fabric. The finish tape is far easier to conform to the end caps, ESPECIALLY if you use bias tape (doesn't come with the kit but is well worth buying).
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Shadowrider,

I covered the elevator with 4 separate pieces, mainly due to trying to minimize fabric waste with the cut-out layout I came up with. The tight outside curves are difficult with Oratex. Unlike Eddie, I found the inside curves to be easier (on the fuselage to vertical fin transition for instance). With practice, and a little patience, I got better at it, but it’s difficult. If bias tape was available it would be easier of course. A second set of hands is very helpful, with all of the pulling, heating and stretching involved. Mine ended up with some small bunched up wrinkles on the tight outside curves, and I came up with a way to handle that. I think I documented it on this website, but what I did is take a single-edge razor blade, removed the back “stiffener”, and held it with two hands in a shallow curve to carefully “skim” the wrinkles off until they were flat. Then I overlayed small banana shaped pieces for mostly cosmetic reasons. You could notch the tape ahead of time also, but the way I did it didn’t leave too much that showed under the “banana” doilies. I believe that I was one of the very first on this forum using Oratex, and I felt a little like a groundbreaking explorer, so there are probably others now who have discovered better ways.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks for the tips! Going to give it a try today.

Anyone bought a tundra lite lately? Does $1195 seem kind of steep?

It’s steep but I looooove mine.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Okay just making sure we not being over charged. Did you install the lock mechanism?

I haven’t but I might. I don’t feel I need it unless I’m taxiing in a strong cross wind
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

What made you guys decide Tundralite over Matco? I'm currently trying to make that decision