Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Private runway folks - How do you refuel?

Default Re: Private runway folks - How do you refuel?

I know I know. It just seems so whatever. I fill up my two 5 gal steel tanks http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/u440677 and throw them in the back of the pickup. Takes a couple minutes at the pump. Than I get to the hangar and throw those tanks in the hangar, my wife does it, figure that one. Than when I need the fuel, which isn't all that much concidering the RV. In which time I put the snout on the steel tank and lift it into the plastic jug and let it balance itself there until it is emptied. Than I look down in the jug, I have a white one, and check for water and junk. Than I put the ladder to the wing, have to do that anyway. Climb up the ladder with the jug, oh my god there is a job, shhhhh. I take the cap off, I put the tube in the hole, oh my, that's got to be a hard one, and than lift the jug, 3 minutes or less the fuel is in.

One thing, I never fill the tanks on the kitfox unless I take it out of town. That means I fly with 5 to 10 gallons tops for local flights. Also means that when I fly I have fresh fuel. If it's been a long time between flight, ya right not for me, than I just dump the steel tanks into my pickup and go get some fresh. If I have old fuel in the wing tanks, not likely, than either adding fresh will rejuvinate the old or I just stick a hose in the tank and empty it out, real quick and easy, than emty that into the pick up. With 5 gal in a 13 gal tank, you can usually fold the wing with no problems.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 02-05-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

I was just thinking of poor ole' folks like myself that are missing body parts or have prosthetic replacement parts ..not OEM one handed re fueling is a good thing.

PS ,..I want to send my wife to the school your wife went to ,..she won't lift a finger concerning a plane ,..how did you get your wife to lift a 5 gallon fuel tank?

In that case, go back to my previous post and get a fuel pump and small battery and actually put some hose on both sides of the pump, throw one end in the 5 gal tank and the other into the wing tank and let her rip. shouldn't take to long. But if there was a race, I would be up in the air while your still pumping gas.

Here are two more alternatives, both available from ACS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

I found this Fuel Transfer Tank at Northern Supply
    It is $50 cheaper than the same one at Sporty's Pilot Supplies. I am thinking of getting one of these. The Pump handle is a shiphon.

A review by one of the people that purchased it:
    "1. Put gas caddy on top of a (flat top) garbage can or on a retaining wall around our driveway.
    2. Put the caddy vertical. Unscrew the vent on the caddy filler cap. Pump the handle perhaps 5-10 times to get gas flowing. Verify flow by listening for the vent bit to make air noises.
    3. Wedge the car's gas tank cap in the pump handle (like you would at a gas station). This allows it to siphon/pump on its own.
    4. Do other things in the vicinity (check the car's oil, air pressure, clean the windows, whatever).
    5. The gas really does stop flowing when the tank is full. I watched this happen a number of times and now trust that it happens on its own.
    6. The nozzle end is ridged so it pops into the filler tube - don't have to worry about it dropping out.
    7. I disconnect the hose every time as it stiffens up and looks like it's prone to crack. I hold the disconnected end up above my head and pump the remaining fuel into the tank before I go anywhere, reduces how much spills.
    8. The hose also discolored (it's grey now, used to be black). It has some creases. I have a feeling it will have to be replaced at some point.
    9. I refill it with the 5 gallon containers if necessary and repeat 1-4.
    The shutoff valve works as it should. The vent/filler cap does not leak, unlike some of the other gas containers I have.
    It holds about 14.5 gallons, maybe 15, without leaking or anything."
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Why not just use a regular 5-gallon gas can?

You folks seem to be going through a lot of trouble to solve a non-problem. At the most you have 13 gallons per wing, two or at most four cans will suffice without pumps or pressure vessels and the like.

Auto gas goes "flat" so quick you don't want to keep a bunch in the plane anyway...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

We sure do think alike. look up post #23. To bad you are way over in Wisconsin.

Regardless of how one transports or stores their fuel off airport, there are folks who can not physically lift 5 gals to the wings or are simply not comfortable balancing on a ladder while dumping from a jug. Perhaps this thread will be of value for them.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

that's pretty much what I came to the conclusion of also. Why not go down to a 2.5 gal at a time, that would do a half hour flight nicely.

maybe even get a small tank that has a bottom drain so you can sit the tank on the wing and than release the valve. Just thinking for the can't do to much pilot.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

One of these can be had for about $100. I have one in my hangar that works great. Many FBOs have them for fueling Cessna-type planes.

IMO, makes using a plain gas can very easy and safe. Set the full can on the wing, inboard of the filler neck and pour it in.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos