Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private runway folks - How do you refuel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Private runway folks - How do you refuel?

I have often thought of building a mobile fuel tank out of a 75 lb propane cylinder,..purge the tank first with carbon monoxide,..drill a hole on the top somewhere to install a tire valve stem. remove the propane valve and find a fitting that will allow a 1/2 inch tube to be placed thru it long enough to reach 1/2" from the bottom of the tank on the inside when the tank is standing,..or long enough to bend a small radius so it reaches the bottom if it's layed on its side,...if you do this ,.make some wood saddles and strap then to the tank so you know the tube is always on the bottom.
    attach a 1/2" flexible line to this with the gate valve near the end,..or to be redundant put a gate valve at the opening on the tank and the end of the hose.
    You can get a 1.5" threaded weldable nipple and a cap with a rubber gasket for a fill tube ,..to be placed on either the top if standing or side if layed down position..fill the tank with fuel..put the filler cap on tight and charge the tank with 45/50 lbs of air,..instant fuel until the airpressure equals the pressure at the height of the nozzle,..as for gallons of capacity in a 75 lb propane tank I'm gonna guess around 20 Gal.
    I would imagine you'd have to play with the air pressure to find out what pressure would actually push all of the fuel out of the tank to an elevated height of a wing.

If someone had one of these propane tanks ..or knew where they could get one cheap ,..it would be a means for refueling that took only a little ingenuity to build ,.and of course time.

Chase

Default Re: Private runway folks - How do you refuel?

I tried an automotive 12 Volt fuel pump several years ago. It was pretty slow, and it wore out after a few months of use.

I bit the bullet and bought a fuel transfer pump similar to this one.
    http://www.prohoists.com/Shopping.idc?ProductID=184
    I mount it on a 50 gallon square tank loaded in my pickup. I supply 12 VDC from the pickup battery through the trailer connector via a plug on the pump wires.

John Hart