Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maximum climb angle

Default Re: Maximum climb angle

I measured the fuel flow at the intake of the impulse pump. I have since then remeasured it with a deck angle of only 15+ degrees yielding similar results. The fuel shut-off valve is kinda tiny looking so will check flow before and after then at the outlet of the gascolator where the system goes from 5/16 in to 1/4 rubber tubing for the rest of the way.

I’ve decided to add a Facet non-shutoff pump. Parts on order.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Default Re: Maximum climb angle

Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
    John, where did you measure the fuel flow, right at the carbs, or just before or after the fuel pump? I measured right at the carbs at first and got around 7 gph. Then I measured just before the fuel pump and got a lot more. A fuel pump that is not operating has a lot of restriction to gravity flow thru it. It apparently is not zero, but may be just barely enough to keep the engine running at high power.
    Jim,

The flow rate I mentioned was right before the pump. I’m sure there is potentially considerable restriction through the pump. It was easy to disconnect at that point and direct that hose down into a measuring container, and I didn’t have a hose or tube in the hangar at that time to connect to the outlet. I’m thinking that many, if not most, people check it as I did, but it is not the best or a complete test of course. I would like to test after the pump sometime soon. Even if the flow rate is cut in half after the pump I will still have enough flow for full throttle “normal” operation, and that is measured without the benefit of tank pressurization from the vent tubes. Does anyone know what the actual flow restriction is in the latest pumps? Another thing to add to the equation is the recirculating line feeding back through an orifice at the point where the fuel line tees off to the carbs. That will probably decrease the potential flow rate to the carbs also.

Jon,

FWIW, I have 3/8” fuel line throughout my system with the exception of short lengths of 5/16” at each tank. I also have no flow sensors or additional pumps in the circuit, and all valves are full-flow ball valves.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime