Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Garmin GTX 335 Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Garmin GTX 335 Question

If you upgrade to a GTX 345, It will wirelessly stream GPS, ADAHRS, traffic, and weather to the device of your choice.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Does anyone know if you could potentially use a single GTX 335/345 in two different airplanes? Could I purchase one unit that is capable of being programmed with tail number and then move them from one airplane to another? I've got a Cessna 172 that needs an ADS-B capable transponder and I'm working on building a IV Classic that will need one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoenshell View Post
    Does anyone know if you could potentially use a single GTX 335/345 in two different airplanes?
    You can edit the Fight ID pretty easily in the GTX 335/445. Swapping the hardware would be the bigger inconvenience.

Edit: I just read the Garmin manual and the only catch is that by default, the flight ID is not editable. A Garmin-authorized installer can configure the unit to make the Flight ID editable, in which case it is easily edited directly on the unit.
    Last edited by aviator79; 05-30-2018 at 06:46 AM.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I'm thinking for $3k to $5.5k (since I need the GPS) that I might be willing to put up with the inconvenience for a while.

I have a GTX335 with built in GPS and Altitude Encoder for ADS-B out only. For ADS-B in I have a GDL 39-3D bluetoothed to a Garmin Aera 660, so I get other aircraft and weather. It all works well.

In addition to the GDL 39, you can use the GDL 50 for ADS-B in and weather with the GTX 335. The GDL 52 ads Sirius XM if you have a Aera 796 that supports XM radio.

I don't think it is possible to do that. There is a lot more than a flight ID that must be programed into the ADSB unit that is specific to the aircraft.

The best answer would come from an avionics shop.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016