Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canadian Kitfox category/regisrtation?

Question Canadian Kitfox category/regisrtation?

Hello,

I have a question for Canadian Kitfox flyers (or anyone who may be able to answer). How do you have your Kitfox registered in Canada?

I have seen Kitfoxes registered in the C-FABC or C-GABC series, and I've also seen them registered as C-IABC. If I am understanding this correctly, that means some Kitfoxes are registered as general aviation airplanes while others are registered in the advanced ultralight category.

I understand that all Aerotreks are considered advanced ultralights. Why would some Kitfoxes be registered one way while others are registered another way?

I've left several voicemails with Transport Canada, but nobody is getting back to me yet so that's why I'm asking here.

Thanks! :-)

Default Re: Canadian Kitfox category/regisrtation?

C-FAAA to C-FZZZ (Vintage aircraft (manufactured prior to 1957) may be registered CF- instead of C-F)[2]
    C-GAAA to C-GZZZ
    C-IAAA to C-IZZZ (ultralight aeroplanes only)
    CF-AAA to CF-ZZZ (until 1974)[3]
    VO-AAA to VO-ZZZ (used by Newfoundland until it became part of Canada with CF prefix in 1949.)

Hi Alan,

Thank you for replying. I have seen this before, but thank you for posting it.

Unfortunately it does not seem to answer my question of why some Kitfoxeses are registered/categorised as an ultrlight while others are registered as what appears to be a general aviation airplane?

My Kitfox as registered amateur build at the md-ra
    Because i build it and a can't put it in aula catégorie

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

An advanced ultralight needs to be built by a factory or needs to have a Statement of Conformity, to state that it was built to factory standards. Not many factories will give this to a private built aircraft. Most AULA are factory built.C-I_ _

As a Canadian private builder of an ultralight (1200lb Gross) you have the choice of registering Basic Ultralight ( no passengers) C-I_ _ or Amateur built (passengers allowed).

For above the 1200lb gross, like a model 5,6,7 with a 1550lb gross you are limited to registering as an amateur built. C-F_ _ or C-G_ _
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Hello Kevin,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. This is what I was trying to understand.

I am interested in the factory built SLSA Kitfox, which I understand is very much like the S7, and is 1320 lbs gross weight (so above the 1200lb gross).

So if it's factory built and above the 1200lb gross limit it's not amateur built, it's not ultralight, so how would it be categorized/registered?

Thanks
    Last edited by PlaidAvenger; 05-14-2018 at 05:25 PM.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

I would call Kitfox and ask them that one.

I think the 7SS SLSA still has the design capability of the 1550 gross , I think its just paperwork limited to fit the criteria of the SLSA.

I would think there should be a way for Kitfox to build a plane for you and register it as amateur built.

I think the waiting list is pretty long for the factory built planes.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Thanks again for another reply,

I actually emailed Kitfox and John (the owner) replied to say that they'd be happy to build me a Kitfox but he wasn't sure exactly how I would register it in Canada. He said in the US it would be either LSA or Experimental Amateur built.

I know that Aerotrek builds aircraft similar to Kitfox and they build it in the US. They are able to roll it out of their factory and slap a Canadian advanced ultralight registration on it and you're able to fly it home to Canada.

From what I understand, ultralights can only fly day VFR. If a Kitfox was built with the proper equipment and registered in the appropriate category, I am hoping that one would be able to fly it at night, or IFR. Does that sound correct?

Plaidadventure

Have a look at

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...rresp-2042.htm

I don’t think the ss7 will qualify...I did not find it on the list for aula

I wonder if that means it would be able to be classified/registered as a general aviation airplane?

I too looked through the list of AULA models, I did notice that Aerotrek isn't listed either, yet I know Aerotreks are registered as AULAs. Perhaps the list on Transport Canada's website needs updating?

I think this is confusing me more than I ever was studying for my PPL. :-p